Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FLTraumaRN911 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 10:08 PM
    Child Support
    I am already paying 1083.00 a month in child support what is the chances that If I terminate my rights that My child support goes up. Heck I am already paying 82% vs the *(^&( 18% and one child comes out of daycare and the other will get VPK assistance
    Amanda_k87 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 10:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTraumaRN911
    I am already paying 1083.00 a month in child support what is the chances that If I terminate my rights that My child support goes up. Heck I am already paying 82% vs the *(^&( 18% and one child comes out of daycare and the other will get VPK assistance
    I think that depending on the state yo live in and or county what the rules are. But I know here in mn the if you give up your rights. You won't have to pay child support what so ever... but if you do that your losing the right to see your kid. It's up to you I guess but is it worth never having the right to see your kid. Sorry I wasn't too much help..
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2007, 03:13 AM
    No, terminating rights normally has no bearing on support. Support is based normally on incomes.

Of course why terminate your rights ? Your rights only allow you to see the children, and have a say in their lifes. If you don't want to see them just don't, no one forces any righs on you.
    nya Posts: 55, Reputation: 8

Jun 21, 2007, 08:15 PM
    If child support is the reason you want to terminate your parental rights, then you probably won't be successful. A viable option would be to file for a downward modification. To do this you have to have valid reasons on why you feel your child support should be reduced such as unemployment, lay off, disability, or your income at the time of the divorce or child support order is drastically different at this time. Contact your local child support office or an attorney to inquire on this option. A lot of non-custodial parents don't know they have this option but its very reasonable that if a custodial parent can request an upward modification (increase) if they feel the non custodial parent is earning more money from the time of the divorce or child support order then the non custodial parent has the right to request a downward modification (decrease) when he is not earning at the same capacity when the order was entered.
    jverner Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Jun 22, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTraumaRN911
    I don't see how your child support could go up upon termination. If your parental rights were terminated, then how could there be a child support obligation at all? But maybe it's different in your state. Check out state laws at The Child Support Web Child Support Enforcement Information & Resources
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 22, 2007, 03:40 PM
    God DAMN!! This is question №100000 with same theme!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Give up rights to a child--still pay child support? [ 11 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?

Ex-Wife not paying child support of seeing the child [ 10 Answers ]

We just recently got the divorce final my I got custody and she is suppose to have visitation every other weekend she will pick her up Friday and drop her off Saturday. She was suppose to take her for the whole month of June and July but said she cannot because she has no one to watch her. She...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

No child support in year don't want ex to be involved with child. [ 3 Answers ]

My ex has not paid any child support in 1 year. I did not take him to court. I really don't want him to be involved with the child because he has uncontroled mental illness. What rights does he have? My new husband wants to adupt him well that be possible and how? Do I have any rights that well...

View more questions Search