Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PTMKNH Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jun 19, 2011, 05:08 AM

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply to my "I have no friends" post. As you can see, I posted that back in June, 2007. As of today - June 2011, I've discovered many interesting things about myself. I sought professional help and discovered what I wondered all along.. that I have bi-polar disorder. That put into perspective my inability to maintain friendships. For a few days I would be "normal" and want to enjoy the company of others, then the next few days I would be down and not want contact nor return anyone's phone call. When I would come out of the downswing the world would always look so much clearer and I loved life, but noticed I had pushed others away. With medical help I was able to treat that and am now on an even keel daily. I look forward to life. As for social settings I realized I just never knew what to say about myself and would always deflect conversation back onto the other person or another topic. I bacame very good at it. I decided to seek the help of a psychoanalyst. She was great. She believed in her patients being very pro-active in their own care and expected that from them. I learned much about myself in terms of what my boundaries are as a person, what I stand for and who "I" am. This has helped me to be able to be more open with others that I meet and talk more openly with them. I've gained 2 very good friends, though they are a state away... and I've also gained a husband in the process. Thank you everyone for your advice. I guess we all have to find our way through the life we have and for each of us it could be very different or quite similar. It just takes strength, dedication and courage... and sometime the advice of another.
    adviceishere Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 492
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2011, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PTMKNH View Post
    I really appreciate everyone taking the time to reply to my "I have no friends" post. As you can see, I posted that back in June, 2007. As of today - June 2011, I've discovered many interesting things about myself. I sought professional help and discovered what I wondered all along..that I have bi-polar disorder. That put into perspective my inability to maintain friendships. For a few days I would be "normal" and want to enjoy the company of others, then the next few days I would be down and not want contact nor return anyone's phone call. When I would come out of the downswing the world would always look so much clearer and I loved life, but noticed I had pushed others away. With medical help I was able to treat that and am now on an even keel daily. I look forward to life. As for social settings I realized I just never knew what to say about myself and would always deflect conversation back onto the other person or another topic. I bacame very good at it. I decided to seek the help of a psychoanalyst. She was great. She believed in her patients being very pro-active in their own care and expected that from them. I learned much about myself in terms of what my boundaries are as a person, what I stand for and who "I" am. This has helped me to be able to be more open with others that I meet and talk more openly with them. I've gained 2 very good friends, though they are a state away... and I've also gained a husband in the process. Thank you everyone for your advice. I guess we all have to find our way through the life we have and for each of us it could be very different or quite similar. It just takes strength, dedication and courage...and sometime the advice of another.
    Wow! Thank you for sharing your progress! I am also bipolar, its actually quite common and its such a relief to put a name to something you know is there, you should stick around and give others your advice and experiences I think you would be a great help to others who were just like you 4 years ago. Well done to you! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My best friends wants me [ 10 Answers ]

I got a text message from my best guy mate last night... and he told me he loved me and wanted to be with me... now I'm not sure what to do because I've known him for all my life, and I too have feelings for him. But I don't want to ruin our 10 yr friendship... :eek: :eek: WOT DO YOU THINK I SHULD...

Friends [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter has had a close group of friends since elementary school. Lately the only time she sees them is if she initiates a call to them and that takes some work. She is blown off a lot. What should I do? I fear she is doing something they don't like.

Should I still be friends with him? [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend broke up with me a couple a weeks ago but he wants to be friends with me. Do u think I should forgive him and just be friends?

View more questions Search