Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CCDANT Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 20, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Can one who is a covicted felon with a suspended sentence become a notary public
    Can a person who is a convicted felon with a suspended sentence become a notary public... Missouri & Kansas
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2007, 05:37 PM
    Based up the information below, it would appear that a person convicted of a felony cannot become a notary in Kansa, but can become one in Missouri. I checked out some other states also. The eligibility requirements sure do differ depending on which state it is.

From the following site: National Notary Association - Become a Notary You pick the state about which you want to inquire in the upper right-hand corner.

Eligibility in Kansas
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minimum Age: 18 years of age
    Minimum Residency: Not Required
    Other Requirements: Must read, write English; no felony conviction or loss of professional license; commuting non-resident may apply

From the same site:

Eligibility in Missouri
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Minimum Age: 18 years of age
    Minimum Residency: Not Required
    Exam: N/A
    Other Requirements: Must read, write English; must be a registered voter of the county in which commissioned or U.S. resident alien. Must complete a computer-based or other Notary Training Course approved by the Secretary of State. Any attorney licensed to practice in Missouri is also a Notary Public.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 06:02 PM
    However, Clough. Many felons are not able to even able to register to vote. So this may not work in Missouri. Therefore if a felon is not able to register to vote, they cannot be a Notary in Missouri either, unless of course Missouri is one of the states that allows felons to register to vote.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 06:14 PM
    First I guess does it really matter? You barely make enough money to pay for your required errors and ommissoins coverage and the cost of your stamp. Normally you would be a notorary if you worked in an office where it was needed, real estate, bank insurance and the such.
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 06:17 PM
    You are right on the money Chuck, sorry that was a little tongue in cheek.

But as a Notary myself for many years, one does not make a living being only a notary as notaries are found almost everywhere these days and your coverage, as Chuck states, costs more than you will make.
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Yes, I did not even keep mine up any longer, for example if you want something notorised, here you go to your bank where you have your account and they do it free, Even the real estate offices will do it free for you. ( want you to come in and talk, expect to leave with a flyer on homes for sale)

Here in TN and I guess other states, what little you can change is set by the state,

Now the only thing they can do is take statements for court, but most attorneys all have their owns in their offices that they use.
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 06:26 PM
    I'm with you. When I left my company and my state, moved here to TN I did not re-up my notary. For the examples you set forth above it was not even worth the trouble.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2007, 08:44 PM
    For someone to be able to put on a resume that they are a Notary Public, even if they don't make much money, if any money at all, can be a plus for them when they go for a job when they are trying to get their "feet back on the ground" so to speak, and are trying to re-enter society as a productive citizen again.

Sure, there are costs that are incurred by becoming one. But, if the person can afford it, becoming a Notary Public is one of the ways that a person that has been convicted of a felony can show others that they are really trying to not be remembered for possibly the worst thing that they ever did and are trying their best to integrate themselves back into society as a law-abiding, beneficial-to-others citizen.

I was convicted of a felony, but I have served my time and am on probation. Can I register to vote?

No. A convicted felon may not register to vote unless unconditionally discharged from custody. When you are no longer on probation and have received a copy of your discharge papers you will be allowed to register.

From: Missouri Voter Registration Info, Forms, & Requirements - DMV.ORG

Voter Eligibility
    In order to vote in Missouri, you must:

Be a U.S. citizen
    Be a Missouri resident
    Be at least 18 years old by the day of the election
    You must also be registered in the jurisdiction of your domicile before the election. You cannot vote if you:

Have been declared incapacitated
    Are imprisoned
    Were convicted of a felony or misdemeanor related to voting
    Are on probation or parole after a felony conviction
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Clough, we were in no way trying to say you were wrong. However, being a Notary myself, I do know some of the ins and outs that are only taught during the course one must take prior to getting their "stamp" of approval.
    Expert

Jun 21, 2007, 03:25 AM
    As for the voting, this is a state by state issue, many states you will not be able to vote if you are a convited felon, ( some of these states allows the felon to go back to court and get the judge to allow it)
    So while Missouri may allow it at some point, many do

And if they want to be one that is great,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

Suspended sentence [ 1 Answers ]

I was charged with assault with a weapon a few months ago and my lawyer gave me the papers about my case and included in them was a paper saying what crown council wanted. They want me to get a "suspended sentence" can anyone tell me exactly what that is. And if it will be on my record forever. Or...

Suspended from work [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there. I av been suspended from work pending further enquireis as I av been accused of theft from the company I work with. They showed me a pile of receipts and said that I have been signing the reciepts and making faulse addresses as the transaction numbers are false and that they...

View more questions Search