Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    volan Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 04:21 PM
    'C' connection on new thermostat
    I am considering purchasing a Honeywell W8665A remote control thermostat. I have the wiring diagram and I am a bit confused. I'm hoping someone can help me.

My current thermostat attached to the wall has the following wires available:
    Y, G, R, W.

The manual for the W8665A states that C must be connected, but I have no 'C'. Apparently the C is a common coming off the transformer.

Am I out of luck or is there a way around it?
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2007, 05:57 PM
    I'm pretty sure you'll need a common to power that thermostat, if all you have is four wires sticking out of the wall, simply pull a 5 ct cable and hook the common up on the furnace, this may be pretty easy if they didn't attach the wire to a stud inside the wall, just connect the new wire and old and pull it down through the wall.

Jun 20, 2007, 09:20 PM
    Thank you. I'm not confident pulling a cable from the basement up to the 2nd floor of my house. Perhaps I'll consider professional help.

But at lease now I know that I need the 'C' wire and I won't rush into buying the unit until I know what I'm going to do.

Thanks again.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2007, 09:22 PM
    Is there a reason that you want that thermostat? There are some nice stats on the market that would work just fine, and they have a nice look.
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Keep in mind, it wouldn't cost you very much to call in a pro to pull a new wire and install the thermostat, your talking an hour labor or less.

Jun 21, 2007, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07
    Is there a reason that you want that thermostat? There are some nice stats on the market that would work just fine, and they have a nice look.
    The current thermostat is located in a hallway in front of a big picture window so the temperature reading is not what the temperature in the rooms are. That's why I wanted a remote control thermostat. That way I can put the sensor in one of the rooms and the temperature control will be more accurate.

Jun 21, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacservicetech_07
    Keep in mind, it wouldn't cost you very much to call in a pro to pull a new wire and install the thermostat, your talking an hour labor or less.
    Only an hour? I'll check into it. Thanks.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2007, 08:58 AM
    The transformer supplies 24 vac (C is common for 3 relays -- cooling --heating -- fan and common for thermostat power Fig.2 The other leg is R which provides
    Power to thermostat, and is jumpered to RZ terminal...

http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...0s/69-1630.pdf

Inside wall would be good location for thermostat Maybe a new run would work...

Jun 21, 2007, 09:08 AM
    Yes, I plan to put the thermostat in one of the rooms away from direct sunlight
    tazdec Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by volan
    I am considering purchasing a Honeywell W8665A remote control thermostat. I have the wiring diagram and I am a bit confused. I'm hoping someone can help me.

My current thermostat attached to the wall has the following wires available:
    Y, G, R, W.

The manual for the W8665A states that C must be connected, but I have no 'C'. Apparantly the C is a common coming off the transformer.

Am I out of luck or is there a way around it?
    See if your stat reads power stealing if not you need a common to the stat see if you have a extra wire in your stat wire if you do you can hook up c at the unit and the c at the stat

Jun 21, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tazdec
    see if your stat reads power stealing if not you need a common to the stat see if you have a extra wire in your stat wire if you do you can hook up c at the unit and the c at the stat
    Thanks for your post.

I don't actually have the thermostat yet. I'm just doing my due diligence prior to purchasing it. I find that doing work upfront results in less frustration afterwards.

The only wires I have at the T-stat are those that I have mentioned. There do not appear to be any spare wires that I can see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing USB connection to ethernet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a belkin wireless G router which doesn't work with my ntl broadband it got something to do with changing the USB connetion to ethernet can someone tell me how Please! Thank you

Replace T87F thermostat with digital thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

My T87F has two wires Red and White. No code indicating how to connect to the new digital on.

Thermostat/Furnace Wiring Connection [ 1 Answers ]

Whew! It's over a 100 degrees in this house. My blower will turn on but the outside compressor will not. I notice that I now have a loose yellow wire inside the Goodman furnace. This yellow wire comes from the Y terminal on the thermostat. It must be related to my problem, but I don't know...

'C' connection for remote control thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I have purchased a RiteTemp 8082C Programmable Thermostat with remote control to replace my old mercury swtich type thermostat. While preparing to install the new one, I noticed in the instructions that all of the connections map correctly to my existing setup except one. The instructions say...

Thermostat Wiring Connection Conundrum - HELP! [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a Ritetemp Thermostat model #8035c. The HVAC system installed in my condo is forced air furnace heat/electric compressor cooling and was manufactured by Gaffers & Sattlers (circa 1973). Any guidance on how to connect the wires to the thermostat is greatly appreciated. There are...

View more questions Search