Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ewaindc Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 09:46 AM
    Changing the outside unit vs. changing the whole system
    My outside unit leaks Freon and needs to be replaced. The system is about 9-10 years old. Initially, the contractor gave me a $2500 estimate to change the outside unit to a new Trane XR14. When the written estimate came, it included changing the coil and fan package inside (it's a ceiling unit) for a whooping $6350. Reasoning was that the outside unit needs to be changed along with the coil due to the new Freon pressure.

I called another contractor and he offered to change my outside unit only to a 10SEER for $2000.

What's the better course of action? Changing the entire system or just what's broken? How likely, considering the age of my HVAC, is the old inside unit to break down any time soon? Also, would I be able to get an inside coil and fan to match the 10SEER outside unit if I need to replace it in the future?

Thank you,
    Eva
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2007, 10:14 AM
    My opinon, Although you can get more time out of the inside unit, it is 10 years old. But on the other hand, where is the leak. If it's not the coil, it could be repaired and brought back into service for much less. I believe I would get other opinions on this from reliable techs.It is best to change the inside coil to match the condenser to get maximum srevice out of unit.

Jun 20, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Doug,
    The leak is inside the condenser that's outdoors. During the diagnosis, I was told the leak was small but hard to identify and could not be fixed. I understand that the inside coil needs to match the outside unit, and that's why I was thinking of just replacing it with the 10SEER, which matches my current coil. I'm worried that the inside unit will break down in the near future and I will not be able to get the coil to match the 10SEER.

Any idea how much the new coil would cost?
    Thanks.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Well. It's always a gamble but I wouldn't think you should having a problem. Just to give you an idea on price, I have a new in box 2/12 T 10 seer in basement that cost approx 150? I think with a little time put in it the leak could be found. I has to be leaking somewhere. Bubbles dye or electronic leak detecto or just spotting oil could find it. Good Luck. Post back with results

Jun 20, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Will do. Thanks
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2007, 08:02 PM
    ANY leak can be fixed, my guess is that you are dealing with a lazy technician that would rather condem the unit over repairing it. I would get a second opinion, see if the next company can make the repair, if not have them give you a quote on both, replacing just the condensing unit and the whole system, the price you have listed above seems a bit steep to me, all you are replacing is just the air handler evap coil and condenser, correct? No ductwork? How big is the house?
    Vista Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 03:55 AM
    I would see if the leak can be fixed. If the aluminum coils are leaking due to corrosion then I would suggest a new coil assembly, not a repair. All other leaks should be able to be repaired. The unit is about half way through it's life's expectancy. If it were closer to 15 to 20 years old then I would suggest replacing the entire AC unit.

Your getting into a labor situation and the tech guy may not want to get involved. Easier to sell you a new unit. They come pre charged so it's basically disconnect, connect sweep if that and your done.

Jun 21, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Ok. I have a warranty/insurance company coming out today to assess the damage. They try to fix the problem before replacing the whole unit. The $6350 quote was for the entire system
    Equipment:
    1 - Trane XL14i Condensing Unit 1.5 Ton(Model # 2TTX4018B1000A)
    1 - First Company Fan Coil Unit (hydraulic coil / DX coil) 1.5 Ton (model # 18CDXQ)
    1 - First Company Unit Case ( model # 9ECDX01)
    1 - First Company Access Panel (966)
    1 - Foundation Pad (to accommodate condensing unit )
    1 - 30 Amp Disconnect

Warranty:
    Trane offers 10 years on the outdoor coil and compressor, 5 years on all other parts and a 1 year labor warranty.

They justified the high price with the fact that the inside unit is placed in the ceiling of the bathroom - difficult to work on, according to them. I had a contractor refuse to give me a quote because of where the unit is located. This is a 1 bedroom condo - 648sqf. So the HVAC unit is pretty small.

One thing that I'm trying to understand is whether I can install say a 13SEER outside unit and leave the indoor unit as is. I understand that I will not get the energy efficiency I could if I replaced the indoor unit. But the indoor unit is working fine, and one of the technicians said it was in good shape and should run for another 5-7 years. So if the leak can't be repaired, I would only want to change the outdoor unit. The quote on Trane XL1i Condensing Unit 1.5 Ton was $2500-$2700.

So, can I change the outdoor unit to 13-14 SEER and leave the indoor unit as is?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Name changing [ 2 Answers ]

I recently got married and now I am trying to change my name I've been told that I can take is name by dropping either my middle name or my last name but it seems to be a problem that I want to simply add his name to mine. Can anyone tell me why this seems to be such a big deal? An what can I do...

Changing Air Filter on Carrier 58STA090 Unit [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the air filter on a Carrier 58STA090 Gas Furnace? How often should it be changed? Can I do this myself?

Changing Last Name [ 1 Answers ]

My partner and I are planning to get married within the next year. However, neither of us wish to keep our current last name. Is it possible to create a new last name at the time of marriage and if so where could I find more information? We are living in Indianapolis, IN. I am a citizen and my...

Changing OS, ME to XP? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, I am considering finally getting ME off my system and going to XP. My system runs pretty good ( I try to keep it as clean and lean as possible) except for all the ME quirks that are well known: error screens, restarts, improper shutdows, software conflicts, etc. I was going to wait...

View more questions Search