Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Frogg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Fathers rights
    Can I relinquish my parental rights to a child who I adopted prior to the marriage?
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Jun 20, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Hmm, Good question. I am not sure how that works... I hope somebody else will be able to give you legal advice on this one.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 20, 2007, 09:15 AM
    Relinquish them to whom? You are the legal father, and unless the child is to be adopted by someone else, and you relinquish your rights to allow for that adoption, you are responsible for supporting him/her the same as any legal father.

What exactly is your goal so we can better answer your question.
    colleen40 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogg
    Can I relinquish my parental rights to a child who I adopted prior to the marriage?
    No u cannot, called esstoppel of law, cannot change a legal agreement, unless, mother will not contest or some else is adopting.
    ton_ty2275 Posts: 41, Reputation: 6

Jun 25, 2007, 12:28 PM
    Collen, great response---though this is a sad question.
    Why would a father want to relinquish his rights of his child? Adopted or Biological?
    This thought is as cold as is the courts stipulations on this matter. Nope, you can't do it! My advice is for this father to take the high road. Be a real father to this child and recompense will be invaluable.
    A child is not eligible for a "divorce". Yet, as an adult perhaps the child will choose to divorce their parents! :D
    And For that you will have to wait... Yet, another sad thought.

Tomy M. Hall, MS

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fathers rights [ 4 Answers ]

OK here is my question. My son is 23 and he found out he might be a Father. The mother does not want the child and she wants to give it away. My son wants to raise the child. I want to know are what are his rights. Right now? How can he make sure the mother will look after herself and the unborn...

Fathers rights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a baby girl named emma, the mother doesn't want her to have my last name. What rights do I have to get that changed? I pay child support...

Fathers rights [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question concerning my stepdaughter. My husband had this child with his ex girlfriend before we were married, and although their relationship was on the rocks and ending for many reasons, he wanted to stay civil with her and be a father to his new daughter. He signed the birth...

A fathers rights [ 1 Answers ]

For a man who is legally married but not living with his wife because of her decision what rights can he enforce and what course of action does he need to pursue legally to prevent her from getting an annulment preventing him from seeing his child till partenity is established the child is still...

Fathers rights PLEASE HELP! [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend that is living with his girlfriend he is supporting her, her son from a previous relationship and now their son they have together. He is on the birth certificate and is an active father. He is wanting to take his son to a funeral out of town for a family member, girlfriend is not...

View more questions Search