Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Swander Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Questions related customer care
    How would you handle a customer who used abusive language
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 20, 2007, 09:27 AM
    I set our company's policies on such things, and none of my representatives should have to listen to abusive language. They are to stop the conversation by saying "I'm sorry I can no longer help you. Please hold for a supervisor", and then transfer them to a supervisor. Someone who is irrational, screaming, cussing, etc. and can't be reasoned with at all can be hung up on for all I care.

Some companies would never allow a rep to hang up on a customer, however, so it really depends on the company policy.
    Suseelan Sadasivan Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 01:13 AM
    Hi,

I am a new member. But , I found the your question quite interesting. Having been in the service industry for 25 years , I don't think a simple company policy would solve such situations.

a) Its been my experience that NO Customer Just walks into an Office or makes a call and becomes abusive right from the word go , on a first service deficiency or a defective product. ( Ask yourself >> Would you? ) .

If you are viewing the customer history when handling the call on your PC , I am sure you would find this customer has been calling up for a service redressal , or product replacement or follow up service , SEVERAL TIMES ,and now he is at his tethers end , and hence his offensive attitude.( Put yourself in the same situation and ask ""Would I not behave like this ,under the circumstance.. on NOT GETTING A SOLUTION In spite OF REPEATED REQUESTS . After all Each One Of us Is A Customer in One Way Or another. SDimply put Beggar to King , every one is a customer.

b) Would passing the call to a supervisor.. solve the issue . For you, YES . For the customer NO. Why ? You are passing the buck and repeating the same situation he has faced till date , calling up and not getting a solution . Will this appease him? NO? THe Supervisor will receive the BRUNT NOW. And this time you can rest assured THE CUSTOMER IS LOST FOREVER>.

Things to keep in Mind:
    Is this person known to you personally ?
    Does he/she Really Mean , whatever he is saying?
    Is it not him venting his frustration at the inefficiency of the Customer Care Officers rather than service deficiency / defective product ?
    Will he not be happy and grateful, if YOU ,the person at whom , he is blowing his TOP , listens to all that he has to say, rave and rant , and then solve his problem.

Never , Interrupt a person who is ranting and raving . Let him let out his steam .
    Just Listen , silently.
    If it is across the desk, confrontation , just keep eye contact . ( Agonised/Empathetic expression.) Say nothing. Do not goad him. The customer will STOP. ( Will you not, as a customer ?)

Once he stops, Give himyour NAME Again .( VERY IMPORTANT) and request time from him to resolve his issue. Give him your personal assurance ,and tell him that is why you have given him your name , AGAIN . This will create a certain level of confidence in him.

Then , make sure YOU personally , get involved in the problem. Or do follow up with the concerned person / department, till the time , the issue is resolved , and the case is closed. Also , keep him posted , if you are not able to resolve the issue within the committed time. Update him.
    And you will find that customers , who blow their TOP , DO SO ONLY, when SERVICE EFFICIENCY level drops.

I have had personal , experience in this kind of situations . And over the period I found that , what I have stated above really works.

THere was an instance, in my younger days , when I had a customer blowing his TOP and becoming extremely abusive . He raved and Ranted and finally ran out of abuses. When , he stopped , I just told him , sir I am holding . Please refer to a dictionary , for anymore verses , you would like to call me. He stammered , blubbered , then banged the phone.
    I set about , immediately looking into his problem. A delayed courier despatch with no trace or feedback . I got , what ever update , available, called him back in half an hour.
    Since , he had forgotten my name , ( Customers normally do , when they are angry.. what do you say , don't you, as a customer. ) , gave him my name, then companys name . He was silent . I quickly updated him ,on whatever info I had. He thanked me , then apologised for all that he said.Then requested me to , trace and ensure deliver of said doc, then he disconnected .
    I did , the follow up, kept him updated . Though a delayed delivery , he remained our customer and became a good friend . This is just one case.

Hope I did not bore you.

Keep in mind one thing . Emotional outbursts are always prompted.
    While on the subject , why not check , all the customer who have sent Written or E amil , complaints, they have done so , as there was no resolution the first time. And if you were to do an analysis of all these customers, more than 60 % are no longer your customer.
    NUFF SAID>
    BrightLight Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Swander
    how would you handle a customer who used abusive language
    So I am a senior at customer service where I work, and let me tell you... the things that people will do, I've personally had an older gentelmen smash a couple of cd's and throw them at me because I wouldn't return it for a full refund because he didn't like the cd.. I went over the policy that is in big letter on the wall as to why we can't return any open cd'
    s. (copyright.. DUH! ) But he lost it, my manager had to ask him to leave, he went to throw a few punches out on the way.. but oh my god.. that was something else...
    If its just the everday gumpy people who feel the need to swear at me... by all means bring it, it just means I will be less likley to do you a favore and return your year old cables for a store credit... just smile and be nice... it seems to make them more upset but hey.. you treat people like dirt.. your not going to get anything!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Care values of care workers when communicating [ 1 Answers ]

health and social care help :confused: can someone tell me how to promote anti-discrimination to recognise cultural differences to acknowledge service users personal beliefs and identities r care values of care workers when communicating in their day-to-day tasks :confused:

Depende care claim from FSA for dependent care [ 1 Answers ]

Dear expert, I started to work in a company from last November. My FSA for dependent care was set up in Feburary( 3 months waiting period from company policy), may I claim the dependent care incurred in January? I worked full time in January in this company. Thank you.

Customer Service [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know how to find names of senior and top level professionals working in MNC? i.e. Gen. Manager, Marketing Head, vice presidents, directors etc. I have visited their websites but I have not succeeded. Please show me the method to get this info. Either through net or any other mode....

Many Questions related to H1 - Tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Tax Experts, I have many un answered questions. Any help by answering them is highly appreciated. 1) I am full time for a consulting company A (I get 5 day leave, 5 sick leave and paid for US holidays only 6 days, and 50% of the medical benefits for family ). And this...

View more questions Search