Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonytorode Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2003, 04:16 PM
    Advent l7300 laptop
    I have a advent l7300 laptop and several keys don't work. I don't know if it is because my daughter downloaded a key locking programme or if the keyboard is damaged. She deleted the programme but never uninstalled it. She then re-partitioned and formatted the hard-drve and put the operating system back but the keyboard has lost letters, c, v,e,etc. Is there anywhere a second-hand or new keyboard can be purchased? I have tried the advent website and asus to and several parts sites to no avail. Thanks, tony.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 24, 2003, 09:24 AM
    advent l7300 laptop
    Laptops tend to be very proprietary. The only place you are likely to find a replacement keyboard is from the manufacturer. Since the machine has been reformatted, I doubt if the problem is the key locker. Are the problem keys all near each other. I had a problem with my Dell laptop where the 7,8,you,I,j,k,m,< keys would not work. If you look at a keyboard you see these keys are all together. This indicates a hardware problem. You can use an external keyboard, but that negates the value as a laptop.

[hr]
    I just read Fred's answer and must disagree. If you can find the mfg or someone who has a compatible keyboard it will not be as expensive to replace as to buy a new machine. Not even close. Replacing the monitor yes, not the keyboard. The problem is you need to find the right keyboard. And that may be difficult.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2003, 06:31 AM
    advent l7300 laptop
    Hi,
    Generally, it will cost as much to have a manufacturer to repair a keyboard on a laptop than just buy a new laptop; if it is not under warranty.

You can use a keyboard from another computer, by simply plugging it into the back of the laptop.

That is probably the only way to use the laptop.

I wish you the best,
    Fredg
    borg-matrix Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2005, 06:37 PM
    advent
    hey, mate. I just got my laptop back after having the keyboard replaced on my 7702. I repair them myself, but this one is insured, so I got them to do it because I couldn't find a keyboard anywhere. Truth is, I spilled a tiny bit of coffee on it, and lost about 7 letters. After having a look, this keyboard seemed a really fragile and delicate thing. I would have had to separate the membrane on the back from the rear keyboard panel. It wouldn't really take much to do damage to it, because it's a poor manufacturing standard. Anyway, after 3 weeks I got it back. There's no repair centres in dixons or PC world in ireland, so they got to post everything to england. A keylogger wouldn't be around after a format. Going through the supplier was the only hope I had of getting any advent parts, because their website don't offer much. I reckon there's been a spill on yours, and I couldn't think of any other way to repair it. Cheers, borg-matrix :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which laptop [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am Claire, I want a laptop for making home movies and I want to know what is the best one to get. I want good graphics, large memory and very portable. Any advice would be great. Thanks

New laptop [ 6 Answers ]

I just purchased a laptop a couple of months ago. I have been using a dialup to connect to the net. I was wondering if I could use my cell phone to connect by just attaching it to my laptop and dialing out?

Best Laptop for... [ 3 Answers ]

I use Dragon Speaking Naturally, and need at least 500 MHz. I also have a preference for something light, as I travel/write, and word processing is my main desire. I want something with a screen size around 10 or 11 inches. Sound Blaster (clone) is recommended. A (built-in) CDrw/DVD would be...

Which laptop? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to purchase a laptop, most probably used,but I haven't a clue how to begin knowing which one is best. I've tried a few of my friend's but I am still not sure what to look for. I'm not going to be doing anything fancy, like desktop publishing, but I would like to be able to see DVDs, and...

View more questions Search