Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsstanley1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 05:31 AM
    Red, non-itching rash on legs
    About a week and a half ago, after a visit to a local area lake (swimming included) I first noticed a small series of bright red, non-itching spots on my lower legs, just around my ankles. At the same time, I believed I had picked up what we call in the South 'chiggers' -- though that's probably not the medical name for them -- otherwise known as red bugs, etc. The typical treatment we recognize is to cover the swelling with fingernail polish to smother the 'bug'. Anyway, it's a week and a half later and the red spots have spread from my ankles to my groin area (none in the actual pubic area), front and back. There is still no itching, but they are bright red and very embarrassing. In addition, a week after the first appearance of the splotches, I developed an (unrelated?) stomach ailment which lasted for 3 days, but has now passed, leaving only the red rash. I experienced some muscle pain in areas not closely related to the rash, and one of my fingers has swollen a bit. I'm trying to give everything I can think of that might possibly be related. I experienced no fever, and feel just fine at the moment. I'm not sure what this is, but I would appreciate any feedback whatsoever.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 08:14 AM
    I am uncertain as to what this could be other than a possible parasite. There are some parasites that live in lakes, streams and rivers that may be causing this. The only way to know for certain is to make a visit to your doctor. If this does seem to be the case then the water in that lake will have to be inspected.
    bladepolisher Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2011, 04:11 AM
    Keywords:golf;heat;hiking;leukocytoclastic vasculitis;prolonged exercise;stasis;urticarial vasculitis

SUMMARY
    A number of patients presented with an erythematous, purpuric rash occurring on the legs in association with playing golf and also after prolonged walks or hikes. Many patients believed that it was an allergic reaction to grasses or insecticides and had sometimes undergone extensive allergy testing. We collected reports of 17 such cases from dermatologists in the state of Victoria, Australia. Patients were interviewed by phone and asked to submit photographs of the rash if possible. Of these, the eruption developed in 15 after playing 18 holes of golf and in three following prolonged hikes. The rash would usually develop over the summer months under hot conditions. Most patients were over 50 years of age when the tendency to develop the eruption began. Biopsies of the rash in the active phase showed leukocytoclastic vasculitis. Patch testing and investigations for potential underlying causes for vasculitis were negative or unremarkable. It would seem that this is a common but poorly documented condition. The clinical presentation and histology would support the conclusion that it represents a leukocytoclastic vasculitis induced by prolonged exercise under hot conditions. The findings would suggest that it occurs in healthy people and extensive investigation with blood tests or allergy testing is inappropriate. We believe the condition should be termed 'golfer's vasculitis', as golf appears to be the most common precipitating event and such a term would enable the condition to become more widely recognized.

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2011, 10:05 AM
    This thread is several years old, long "dead." Your help is needed on some of the more recent threads.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red bumps on legs... [ 10 Answers ]

Wow, I don't know if it's polite to ask this many questions when I first become a member... but a problem that has been bothering me since I've been shaving is something that will NOT go away no matter what I try. I have red spots( my enlarged pores) all over my legs... mostly on my lower...

Itchy skin, then red bump like rash [ 2 Answers ]

For a few weeks now, I've been itching extremely bad all over my body. Usually my thighs worst of all. I assumed I was gaining weight and it was just because my skin was stretching(I'm noticing more stretch marks than before). Now all of the sudden everywhere it itches(worse than before!) As soon...

Red marks on legs. [ 1 Answers ]

I've had these for well over half a year now and I'm wodering if I can remove them. They are a dark red purpley colour and slighty raised, they're on my right calf. They are shaped in lines going down my leg.

Rash in legs [ 2 Answers ]

Hi this is my first time using this site the problem is with my legs I've always had some rash on the back up side of each leg and my legs are light but with olot of uneven skin stains I want to know what can I cuse to have great legs without the rash and even color.

Rash on legs [ 1 Answers ]

I have red bumps all over my knees and on my thighs. They itch and have puss in them. What is it?

View more questions Search