Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teachermama3 Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jun 19, 2007, 10:12 PM
    14 year old niece heading down wrong path
    I am writing on behalf of my 14 year old niece. I am very concerned about her. She constantly speaks of running away, and leaving home. She says that her mother (my sister) is horrible to her. My niece admitted to me that she is afraid of her mother. My sister has been married multiple times, and has moved her children at least seven to eight times per year. They have never finished a year at the same school. My sister also has a horrible temper. Here lately , these problems at home have seemed to effect my niece more strongly. When she visits me, she talks about wanting to sneak out with boys, and she talks about her friends that do drugs. She has always been such a good girl, and now she is changing. Is there anything that I can say to her, to keep her from heading down the wrong path? I do not want to see her ruin her life, but I truly feel that she might get pregnant or something on purpose just so she could get away from her mother. I love her like she is my own daughter. How can I help her?
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jun 19, 2007, 10:34 PM
    This is going to be hard because if you talk with your sister she will probably get defensive. Talking with your sister maybe the place to start though you know her better than I do. Otherwise give your niece your home and cell phone number and to call you if she needs any help that she can call you anytime day or night. Tell her that you will answer any question she has honestly and anything said between the two of you is kept between the two of you unless she tells you about a crime, abuse or something that will hurt her. Give her a plan to follow other than running away make sure she knows that not getting along with a parent is a bad reason to screw up her life.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 10:35 PM
    Let her live with you, call children service on your sister and let the record speak for itself. Your sister does not deserve this child and you need to help your niece. Your sister needs to be responsible for her actions, not have it covered up by her family. Do that family a favor and get then the help they need. It is obivous that shuting up and letting your sister do as she pleases is not working. so try something new. :)peace
    Likomgbarbiee Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Yes. Let her move in with you exspecially around this time in her life she needs someone too be there for her and she needs too try and live a semi-normal life with a school with friends and not having too worry about leaving in the next week. Just whatever you do don't push her away she needs you more then ever right now .

Good luckk :]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to get custody of my 5 year-old Niece [ 4 Answers ]

I have a niece (my brother's child). She lives in Miami with her mother and my brother lives in Boston (moved there 7 months ago). I pick my niece up at least twice a month and I keep her for the weekend. Is not that my brother is unfit, he just doesn't have the brains to care for a child. He...

Heading Style [ 1 Answers ]

I need help with why I should not use numbering in headings, for example: Chapter 3 Section 3.1 Screens Shots Section 3.2.1 Graphics For instance someone is questioning to a particular section over the phone or via email they can just refer to the section number. I have been told by an...

How to go about retaining temporary custody of my four year old niece. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am A 30 year old married mother of three wonderful if not fun children. My sister has A beautiful ,sweet and very talkative four year old. For the last two years I have seen my beautiful 22 year old sister destroy her life with drugs. It started with her drinking A whole heck of A lot and...

Heading for a break up - help please [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 16 years old and my boyfriend and I have been together for 1 year. Everything was good until 3 months ago. Our arguments became more intense. No yelling or anything like that, just more frequent disagreements. About a month ago my boyfriend told me he wanted to take a temporary break but...

View more questions Search