Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigcowboy1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Being sued for ex's failure to inform us of debt
    I have two problems now. My partner's ex got the bills for the son's medical problem and didn't let us know. Now we get a summons. The bill is for $496 and they want $1200 for 'costs'. Some of it was for her bills (all lumped on the same summons and having my partner as listed as living with the ex). The law office said they will deduct her charges and split the 'costs' between us. It hasn't gone to court yet. Is this excessive for fees? Should we pay?

Second problem. My partner and his ex bought a car 8 yrs ago and although it was eventually paid, because the payments were late, late fees of $2200 were assessed. Never paid by the ex and charged off in 2004 by Americredit. Now we get a letter (first we hear about it) telling us to pay it. The letter does not say it is for late fees. The ex told us that. Americredit is holding the title and the ex still has the car. Americredit said it was not repossed because it had no value. Should we take their offer to pay half? Is it legal to try to collect only late fees?

My complaint is we were not told by anyone these were not paid. Who can we sue?

We live in Michigan.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2007, 04:27 AM
    First did you sign anything for these two debts?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 04:57 AM
    On the son, who signed for the medical treatment as being the responsible party? What does the divorce decree say about who is responsible for medical bills not covered by insurance, is someone required to have insurance on the child??

I doubt they have much of a legal stand in collecting money from you on the sons bills and I my even doubt this is really a law office but most liekly a collection agency using an legal firm name with an attorney on staff. ( my guess, very common to scare people)
    And of course once they get that 1/2 from you, they may decide you still owe the other 1/2 also.

On a very late doctor bill it is very common ( very very common for them to settle for a lot less than the orgianl bill.
    Call the doctor or hospital and see if they still own the debt or if that debt has been sold to a collection firm. If they still own it, on a 500 dollar debt, offer them 200 to settle in full most likely they will.
    Same with the debt company, at the MOST, the very MOST I would offer them maybe 400 as payment in full, Again, depending on how old this debt is, it well could be over the SOL also.
    But yes, this is normal in fees they ask for, but seldom get. At the most I would first never admit I even owe anything, and say that your "x" will pay them 495 for payment in full, and if they accept send them a money order, so they don't have access to your checking account.

As for the car, did the divorce decree order the wife to pay for it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt & Being Sued [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have a problem. In 2001 I had an onset with RA (Rhuematoid Arthritis). I do have all types of paperwork about my illness. Will it help? I could not work and by 2003. I was better and starting working full-time again. I was later sued and got a judgement against me in FL....

Being Sued for a Debt I owe [ 6 Answers ]

I have been sued by an attorney hired by who I thought was a friend to gain $3650.00 that I do owe him. We had an arrangement I thought but that isn't the case now. The attorney sent me some papers to sign with a payment arrangement but I am reluctant to sign these papers for fear that I won't be...

Getting sued for a 10 year old debt [ 5 Answers ]

I received a letter from a lawyer saying I had a 10 year old mastercard with $5000 outstanding. I called the credit card company and they know nothing about it. I vagley remember something about it but thought it was all taken care of. The law firm is very aggressive and have a million horrible ...

Being sued over old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a lawsuite against me from a credit card company, from debt incurred a few years ago. I'd like to know if: I should go through paying an attorney and the whole process, or, should I wait and see what happens? Would it be wise for me to send a lump sum to the attorney and see if...

Being sued over an old credit card debt. [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings, I recently was served with papers via a Sherrif's deputy around 2 months ago. I answered the supeona and followed all of the proper channels notifying the bottom feeder collection attorney that bought the debt that the debt was incorrect, not mine, and that the statue of limitations had...

View more questions Search