Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Balloons33 Posts: 85, Reputation: 4

Jun 19, 2007, 01:20 PM
    I have to get rid of this fear.
    I had a crazy experience a little while ago.

See, I am deathly afraid of bee's/wasps. They are my biggest fear and when I am around them I look like an idiot because I flip out pretty bad. I panic. Well, on my drive home from my lunch break I was jamming to a song and I felt something fly into my lap… I looked down (going 65mph), and there it was… a freaking BEE! It was still alive and it was between my legs.. I started to panic and I swerved off the road like a dummy! I swerved back on and it was still between my legs.. I started to cry and shake violently and pray, hahaha….. I managed to flick the bee off the seat and onto the floor where my feet were. It was still alive… my legs started to shake pretty bad at that point and when I finally reached the stop light I moved the seat back and stomped the crap out of it.

My heart rate still won't go down. How can I get rid of this terrible fear of bee's?
    catsandkittensandmittens Posts: 31, Reputation: 5

Jun 19, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Go to see a hyponist! Try praying that can help to, They are Gods creature to.

Jun 19, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catsandkittensandmittens
    Go to see a hyponist! Try praying that can help to, They are Gods creature to.
    Yes, and I love God's creation. That's why I don't understand this fear. Thanks for your advice, I will check that out! :)

Jun 19, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Thanks so much for your insight! All things are possible through Him... I need to trust more.
    catsandkittensandmittens Posts: 31, Reputation: 5

Jun 19, 2007, 04:02 PM
    When you see a bee stand still, close your eyes, take deep breaths and relax. Usually they will go away. Read about bees, hang up a picture of them, enjoy a beautiful flower and some tasty honey. God gave us that awesome insect and we need it very much.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2007, 04:38 PM
    What is the worst that can happen to you when you encounter a bee? You will get stung. Are you allergic to bees and/or wasps?

Now there is documented evidence of the fear being aggravated by the addition of a metabolic disorder that causes him to overproduce adrenaline, the fear hormone.

This happens with people who have hypoglycemia, or insulin resistance. Hence we have a metabolic overreaction to a slight fear.

The condition can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic or a diabetic diet.

Please read:

What is Hypoglycemia? At
    The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

Beating Anxiety and Phobias at:

Also, there is a program that states there is a cure for Bee Phobia -
    BEE PHOBIA: Treatment and Hope
    I do not know if it works or not.

Here is another "Getting Rid of Animal and Insect Phobias" site - Getting Rid of Animal and Insect Phobias - Free Self-Help

Good luck. I have this phobia too and I am allergic to bees and wasps. I don't scream and run anymore when I see one. Now snakes are another totally different topic.
    SpottieOttie33 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Jun 20, 2007, 07:17 AM
    I've actually never been stung -- so I don't know if I am allergic. I don't have any other allergies, so I would assume that I am not allergic. I will definitely check out those sites you listed! Thanks so much! Also, I find that almost everyone I talk to about fears has a fear of snakes -- a terrible fear at that. Where as, I don't mind snakes at all... interesting.
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Jun 24, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Everyone has their fears and through some tough work you can conquer them. Learn about the things that you fear and try to understand them. Face your fears a little at a time and slowly you will learn to respect your fear instead of fearing and fighting it. I am an example of this. I work for a sign company. I work on ladders all the time but I had never gone on the big trucks that we use to do high installations. One day my boss came up to me and asked me how I was with heights. Not wanting to be a chicken in front of him I asked how high? He took me outside and pointed to a three story building across the street and said not high. Only 40 feet. Keep in mind that he's used to heights of 80 plus feet. So I got into my harness and went on the truck. There I was in the bucket of a big boom truck 45 feet in the air laying vinyl with one guy in the bucket with me. By the end of the job I realised that as long as I was careful and paid attention to what I was doing, there was no way for me to fall.

I now respect heights and no longer fear them because I learned about them and how to safely work around them. Now I get bored working on the ladders on the ground and the other vinyl girls think I'm nuts. Learn about the things that make you afraid and safely encounter them. Maybe take a trip to the nearest Apiary (bee colony) and get into a suit and ask to walk amongst the bees with the honey worker. Get a scratch test done with a doctor first though in case of allergic reaction. The suit protects you from being stung most of the time but there are occasions when a bee does get in.
    zarri Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 04:03 AM
    Hey, I am TERIFYED of bee's and wasp as well. I had a time when one found its way into my car, I saw it, pulled of to the side of the road and opened all the doors until it flew out, which took forever. I guess what I'm saying is your not alone, I hate those stupid things, or anything that even might look like a bee or wasp as it fly's by. But fear is healthy to a certain point. Everyone has it, and the people who pretend that they don't keep stuff in there mind until it becomes so much worse. I personally don't care if I am afraid of bee's or wasps, it makes me, me. I guess what I'm saying is that there is nothing wrong with being afraid, in fact you have done something that SO many other people are TERRIFIED to do, and that's realize what your afraid of and put it out there. Your human, haha, its OK to be afraid of some things. Hold your chin up, this isn't worth so much worry or thought, it just makes you, you.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 05:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    What is the worst that can happen to you when you encounter a bee? You will get stung. Are you allergic to bees and/or wasps?

Now there is documented evidence of the fear being aggravated by the addition of a metabolic disorder that causes him to overproduce adrenaline, the fear hormone.

This happens with people who have hypoglycemia, or insulin resistance. Hence we have a metabolic overreaction to a slight fear.

The condition can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic or a diabetic diet.
    Please read:
    What is Hypoglycemia? at
    Beating Anxiety and Phobias at:

Also, there is a program that states there is a cure for Bee Phobia -
    BEE PHOBIA: Treatment and Hope
    I do not know if it works or not.

Here is another "Getting Rid of Animal and Insect Phobias" site - Getting Rid of Animal and Insect Phobias - Free Self-Help

Good luck. I have this phobia too and I am allergic to bees and wasps. I don't scream and run anymore when I see one. Now snakes are another totally different topic.
    Shy,
    That was great as usual.

I do not have phobias as such but I do hate darkness and would prefer some sort of light to complete darkness anytime.

But since having a kid, I have found out that kids see the fear and they develop the same fears as the adult.
    Nephews and nieces of mine who's parents are screaming and dancing at the sight of their feared insects, have started to copy the same behaviour.
    And when the parents stopped doing it and tried to calmly move away from the feared objects the kids too do not show fear. These same kids are fascinated by the same insects now, after they see that their parents are not afraid(or show no fear even if they are shaking inside).:)
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Hi,Balioons33,
    Yes,I too have a fear of them critters,from a rational,justified experience,as well as unjustified,irrational fears too.

I feel a little apprehensive when I see wasps flying around my home(a converted wood sided barn) Yesterday afternoon I walked to the south face to look around,minding my own,and saw the wasps/bees/bugs all swarming on the wood walls,hundreds of them.

In days past this would make me slowly walk the other way (as to not attract their attention),yesterday I just walked through them.
    How?
    First thing that comes to mind is:Wasps/Bees,etc DO NOT HAVE BRAINS,they have a simple nervous system,instinct guides their movements.
    AM I A THREAT TO THEM?If I pose a threat they attack! If not (by experience)I have found them to NOT attack.

Does this make me any less bothered by them,NO!

Does it make it less of a threat to my well being,YES,every time I do it.

The suggestion by someone about going to a beekeepers place to bee(lol) around them a little,is AWESOME, exposure could do the trick.

Good luck,
    Ken
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2007, 07:55 AM
    This year I got stung about 5 times or more, becase I was working around their nest. They were doing a good job chasing me. Hives (2' x 1') are another story.

When I was a kid, I got stung when I stepped on them feeding a dandilion.

They sense your carbon dioxide. Holding your breath may cause them to not see you. They like bright clothing.

Usually they don't bother you. If you don't bother them, they won't bother you. If you've been stung and there was no reaction then you really should not fear a bee. If you calmly lead them the way out, they are happy.

There is one instance that you need to be on your toes for and that's at a picnic. I had a friend who got stung in the mouth and I think one time someone got stung in the mouth while driving. Moral - keep your mouth shut around bees.

Fear of needles, the same way. They can look intimidating, so don't look.

Dentists have learned to keep their instruments out of your sight. This helps immensely.

Try observing bees from a comfortable distance pollinating flowers.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2007, 07:43 PM
    When my daughter was four years old she would catch bees in her hand and I asked her how do you manage to do that and not get stung. She said bees don't sting in the dark.
    I remembered hearing that before and checked it out and she was basically right. Maybe you could carry something like a rag with you and lightly drop it on them when they land until you can get them out of your car or where ever.
    Keepitsimple is right they usually don't sting unless they sense danger. If you remain calm and still they most likely won't sting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My fear [ 10 Answers ]

I'm going around with a guy... and we love each other a lot... wenever I'm with him... I feel as I'm in heaven... he cares a lot... and so do I... and we are very much attached to each other now... but sometimes... I have this feeling that whether we will have a happy ending or not?? because my...

Still fear him [ 2 Answers ]

When I was a child 8 to 13 I was getind raped by my aunts boyfriend.Now I fear everyman.even my husband. He took what meant the most to me. I'm scared to go out I'm scared to be alone. My mom never did put him in jail and I see him allmost everyday of my life and all I know to do is cry and I...

I have fear [ 5 Answers ]

Hi There,I Love One Sister From Our Church,but The Time I Want To Propose Her, Fear Comes Along And I Will Start Talking About Godly Things.when We Part I Will Be Frusrated And Blaming Myself.while Im Alone I Will Think On How To Say I Love You,but When We Meet Fear Comes Again.what And How Should...

Fear? [ 4 Answers ]

This may sound strange, but if I walk into a room with a ceiling fan that I going, I just freeze up, my heart starts pounding, and I have to literally force myself out of the room. If I am in the room, and the fan is not on, I'm fine, but as soon as someone turns it on, I practically run out of...

Fear [ 16 Answers ]

1. What is fear? 2. What causes fear? 3. What are some physical signs of fear? 4. How do you get over fear? This can be just general scientific answers or personal answers. I need someone else's points of view. :confused:

View more questions Search