Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Wives tales
    Mainly because I'm bored right now, but also because it's fun:

What are all the different Old Wive's Tales you have heard regarding baby gender? Bring the most outrageous ones, I think it's absolutely hilarious, and of course, it will give me something to do for the last hour of work besides fall asleep... :D

(*note* - please do not take any of the following "gender predicton" comments to heart, they are just silly tales, and hold no truth what-so-ever)
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 01:35 PM
    My personal favorite is the drano/urine mixture test... seeing as this actually causes an explosive chemical reaction... LOL
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Jun 19, 2007, 01:38 PM
    To have a boy you should douche with water and vinegar. To have a girl you should douche with water and baking soda! Crazy what people come up with hey! LOL

Jun 19, 2007, 01:40 PM
    Here is the funniest one I have heard but for some strange reason, it has rang true for almost all of my nieces and nephews!!

If you have other children... check their hairline. If the hairline at the base of your last child's neck is straight across, your next baby will be a boy
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2007, 01:49 PM
    My Aunts, on my Mother's side, used to tell me that if a woman carried the child totally in front, the baby would be a boy. If the woman carried the child more sideways, it would be a girl. I carried both my children "in front". One was a girl and the second was a boy.

Also my Dad's sisters said one could tell by the cravings. Chocolate and dill pickles meant a girl. Fresh bread and butter meant a boy. All I ever craved was an ice cream cone from Baskins-Robbins - the coffee flavored ice cream with choc chunks, peanut butter, and marshmallow.
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 01:49 PM
    So then if it is all swirly that means a girl? Lol...

I think I overheard someone else on here a while back say something along the lines of (viewed from the back) if you still have the curve in your sides down to your hips then it's a boy, and if there is no longer that female hourglass shape (viewd from the back) then it's a girl... I can't remember who said it, but they explained it much better... hehe.
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 01:50 PM
    yeah, I was told sweets = girl
    Sours = boy.

All I know is I have a boy and I had to have sweet banana milk shakes and pickles and green olives... lol

Jun 19, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Oh boy then I was all out of wack with both my kids, I had no hour glass shape with either one and I have one of each!! LOL
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Not me, I kept it. No one knew I was pregnant when they saw me from behind... lol.

Jun 19, 2007, 01:56 PM
    Your lucky!! I will say that I am grateful for no stretc marks and back to my normal weight pretty quick. Surprising after all the weight I gained with both. My first one I was 110 lbs before getting pregnant and 198lbs the day I had him. My daughter I weighed 115 prior to and 205 after!! Can you believe it? I could hear myself getting fatter!!
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Lol... I got big, I won't lie, I was just all in front.
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jun 19, 2007, 04:56 PM
    I have heard that you can be on a special "gender" diet before Trying to conceive. Supposedly something about the pH in your cervix allows better for the boy or girl sperm. I think you eat salty if you want a boy and sweet if you want a girl. Also, there are certain times of the month to Trying to conceive if you want a boy or girl. I have seen a lot online about this gender diet. Has anyone tried it or heard of someone else that has tried it?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2007, 05:01 PM
    Okay, this is for people who already had children.

Say for example: My baby boy, he said mama first. So that means that my wife's next baby will be a girl.

Now if he would have said papa, or dada first that would mean my wife's next child will be a boy.
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Jun 20, 2007, 09:37 AM
    Ok... if you hear any for twins I would be interested... lol.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 09:50 AM
    I grew up with the needle test.

You take a darning needle (others don't work) and suspend it from white thread only (no influence by color) and hold it 2-4 inches above the belly. If it starts swinging back and forth, it's a boy. If it stays where it is, but starts spinning, it's a girl.
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    I grew up with the needle test.

You take a darning needle (others don't work) and suspend it from white thread only (no influence by color) and hold it 2-4 inches above the belly. If it starts swinging back and forth, it's a boy. If it stays where it is, but starts spinning, it's a girl.
    When I was a teenager I had that done and it showed that I would have 3 boys and one girl.
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 11:13 AM
    I think this must be a different test, Joe...

You hold it over the PREGNANT belly...
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Jun 20, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Lol... Happy belated dads day joe... hehehe
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Lmasof, oh now I am so embarrassed. I completely read it wrong. Okay the test I did was not holding over a pregnant belly but over your hand. Your right hand. So I did the needle test over my hand and that is what test I knew about.

Uhm you, I may look pregnant but I am pretty sure I can not carry any babies lol.

Thank you Myth for the belated dads day.

Synnen, I loved the way you pointed out my error. I will blame it on my 2 in a half hours of sleep and drinking a cold one.

Joe
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 12:00 PM
    LOL... I thought you may have misread there :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tales of... [ 2 Answers ]

About 2 years ago I played a game caalled tales of symphonia. It was and still is my #1 game I then heard of a game called tales of legenda and was wondering are these games part of a series? If so let me know if any other games in this series come out.

Old wives tales [ 7 Answers ]

Anyone have any interesting old wives tales about pregnancy that they can share... I'm trying to see if any gender pretiction ones are accurate for twins... lol.. before we go in for the u/s that will tell us.

Wives tales on concev. A baby girl? [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to conceive a girl for my first child. I may only get one chance at a child due to medical issues... I would like that one to be a girl if I can... Or at least a healthy baby.

Things That wives do to make their husbands mad [ 2 Answers ]

Ok her is the question. Things that wives do to make husbands mad. 1. Hunny make some tea.(As the wife is 2 feet from the stove and your in another room or she calls you in from outside) 2. When she uses all the hot water 3. Her fav. Race car driver is Jeff Gordon (And yours is A Diff. racer)...

View more questions Search