Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicegirl411 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Tax consequences of inherited house
    I live in California. My two sisters and I are beneficiaries in our step-mother's will which leaves us the family home, as well as her bank accounts, upon her death. There has been some talk about selling the home now and putting the proceeds into her bank account. She is in an assisted living home, and hasn't occupied the house for two years. What are the tax consequences of selling the home now? Does she qualify for the $250,000 tax break, even though she hasn't been living in the home? Also, if we don't sell the house, but later inherit it, what is the inheritance tax? Will it make more sense, tax-wise, to keep the house and sell it after we inherit it? And, finally, should our step-mother consider doing a quit-claim on the property and turning it over to us now? Sorry this is so long. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Not sure about the state, but for federal taxes the estate has to exceed $2 mil. The house will be valued at the time of death and that will be the cost basis. If you sell it after her death, then whatever profit you make over the cost basis will be capital gains. So it would probably be better if you can sell it now and invest the proceeds. Not sure about whether she can take the exclusion though. That would be a close call.
    waynedwilson2007 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Not sure about the state, but for federal taxes the estate has to exceed $2 mil. The house will be valued at the time of death and that will be the cost basis. If you sell it after her death, then whatever profit you make over the cost basis will be captial gains. So it would probably be better if you can sell it now and invest the proceeds. Not sure about whether she can take the exclusion though. That would be a close call.
    I would disagree. Having just been through this with my wife's parents estate, I think you would be better off to wait to sell the house until after you inherit. As ScottGem said, inheritance (estate) taxes are paid on the total value of the estate minus the $2 million exclusion. This would be the same regardless of whether the estate consists of the house & her bank accts, or bank accts & other investments.

If you sell the house now your step-mother, still living would be liable for capitol gainsbased on sale-price today minus the cost-basis of whatever she paid for the house way back when and any deductible inprovements. Quit-claim or not, there will still be significant capitol gains to contend with. Even if she qualified for the $250k exclusion. :(

However, if you wait until she is deceased, the cost basis is set at current market value of the date she passes and any capitol gains are appreciation from that point on. This bypasses a large capitol gains liability. :D

If you need the money now to pay for the assisted living, you would be better off to rent out the house or take out a loan against the value of the house.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 20, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Wayne makes some good points, but he also makes a lot of assumptions. The main assumption is that your mom has owned the house for a long time so that it has appreciated greatly. If this is the case then it may be better to sell it afterwards. But your mom is in a low tax bracket and the house may not be subject to a large capital gains.
    waynedwilson2007 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 08:21 AM
    I do indeed make the assumption that the house has appreciated greatly, but I base that assumption on some research and personal experience.

The median home price in CA major metro areas is just over $500k and has increased anywhere from 4% to 23% in the last 3 yrs (more in the last 5 yrs). Considering that the house has been vacant for two years and it's the 'family-home', I consider it a good bet that the property in question has some significant appreciation that could be subject to capital gains if sold now.

BTW - I don't know if it would qualify for the $250k exclusion or not. That would be a question for a tax lawyer.

Regardless, the best advice is to run the numbers yourself and compare.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is the house inherited property? [ 6 Answers ]

My mother passed in May leaving my brother and I both executors and beneficiaries of her estate. It turns out, without either of our knowledge, she changed her deed to make herself, myself, and my brother "joint tenants with survivorship" This transfer was made in March 2003 and she passed in May...

Offsetting tax consequences of annuity distribution [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry, I must withdraw my question Thanks!

How much tax do we pay for house/property inherited? [ 1 Answers ]

so I'm not sure how all these taxes work, but my mom was asking me if she put in her will to give one of us the house/property, how much tax do we pay or she pay? She also mentioned that there are some legal forms we have to sign for that too and that there are several types, which one would be...

Inherited house 3 sisters [ 2 Answers ]

3 sisters inherited mother's house - no mortgage. 1 sisters wants to buy and live in the house. Another sister is willing own 1/3 of house but not live in the house. The sister who will live in the house will buy out the third sister. Question is the sister who owns 1/3 of the house - what taxes is...

View more questions Search