Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joe88350 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 05:18 AM
    Electric breaker box buzzes
    :confused: hi I have a 3 year old house with 200 amp service and yesterday after turning central ac on for the 1st time this year the circuit breaker box buzzes when the unit kicks on and then doesn't buzz again until ac kicks on again, is this a bad breaker? And is it easy to change? Thank you for your help.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Most likely the breaker is weak or defective. Changing it is simple, it simply unplugs from the center of the panel. But if you are not familiar with working in a live panel, shut off the main before removing the cover, pull or pry the breaker gently at the center, and it will unplug form the bus bar.

Once the old breaker is unplugged inspect the bare metal the breaker plugs onto looking for any evidence of heat, discoloration or melted metal, just to be sure there will be a good connection for the new breaker.

Close up the panel and restore the power, and start the AC, the buzzing should be gone if the cause was the breaker. If the even slightest buzzing remains, then there is another mechanical problem in the panel and will need the attention of an electrician.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving a breaker box [ 5 Answers ]

I am in the process of up grading my Panel from 100 amp to 200 amp, but I have to move the panel about a foot. What do I do with the existing wires that don't reach the new panel, and also is 2/0 wire the right wire for the meter base?

Arcing in my breaker box [ 2 Answers ]

I am having trouble with arcing in my breaker box. What are probable causes of this and potential solutions? Do Arc Fault Circuit Interruptors just cut the circuit off when it arcs or do they do anything to prevent arcing. Thanks!

Help with a Breaker Box [ 12 Answers ]

Hey guys I need some help and found this forum. I want to thank you in advance for any replies. I have the main power wire that comes into the Garage; it has a black-white-and bare wire. The black and white both have 120 going through them. That is then hooked to a 60amp Breaker. Then wire is...

Breaker Box? Disherwasher? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello.I need some help... PLEASE. I can not get my disher washer to turn on. I looked at my breaker box, can I change the #5 breaker? Is this allowed? This may sound stupid but I want:eek: to learn. Thank you for your help. : Rhonda

View more questions Search