Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richardsa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 04:36 AM
    401K Transfer to Different Company
    My company division was bought out by another company. They automatically transferred my 401K. I was vested with the old company, but the new company does not show the money vested. IS THIS LEGAL?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2007, 05:38 AM
    It may well depend on the terms of the 401K. First was the money not being held in a plan administered by some investment company?

Or was this company holding the money in their own plan?

But if you had a contact with the original company and it was vested, I believe they have to honor the terms of the original agreement, You need to get your 401 contract out and read it first then go talk to the department that handles this and question them.

It is common when a company is bought out, to lose health insurance benefits, have pay cuts and other issues, but normally the 401 K investments are handled by outside firms and would have merely been transferred to the new company.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2007, 05:56 AM
    Can you provide more info here like how long you were with the other company, what were its vesting rules, what are the new company's vesting rules? How is this money shown in the new plan (as a rollover or as regular contributions)?

Its possible you are just misreading the statements or a mistake was made. Have you talked with your benefits reps first?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k transfer home to a UK pension [ 5 Answers ]

2 questions as follows... Background: I obtained a green card around 1999, and am a permanent resident alien. I am returning to the UK in 1 month and I should financially separate myself from the US I think. 1. Can my 401K can be transferred. I think it is easier to roll it over into a...

401k company won't let me cash out. [ 4 Answers ]

I left a company a year ago. Tried to cash out 401k, and was told by law I had to waite one year. I was able to claim some of the money on hardship. Now one year later, and after losing some of the money to stocks, I'm being told I have to waite another 6 months. This is the time of the...

View more questions Search