Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Abs_1986 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 10:20 PM
    Cat is peeing
    Recently my Fiancée and I moved into a new house and our one cat has started peeing on our couch. Now I know that there are lots of reason as to why this is happening but I just want to know if it very well could be stress related and not a UTI. He's usually a very good cat and this is the first time he's been doing something like this.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 18, 2007, 10:45 PM
    I'm guessing stress. Cats HATE change! You have just made a big-time change moving into a new house with new smells and new places to hide and new places to jump up on. Does he use the litter box at all, or only the couch? Maybe get another litter box or two to make it even more convenient, and put them in different rooms. Is there a room that can be closed off and where you can put this cat for a few days? He might be totally intimidated by the big spaces and unfamiliarity of it all. Keeping him in one room might given him a feeling of security. Of course, give him toys, a litter box, water, dry food--whatever he has at hand now and then visit him periodically. If you have other cats, putting another one with him might help too so he won't feel lonely.

As for the couch, there are throws and even cat-resistant covers that can be put on it, but then he might find a different place to pee. Let him out of "his room" now and then, but always be with him, watching him. Give him lots of love and brushing and attention too, to reduce the stress. Talk to him a lot.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 07:07 AM
    To be on the safe side I would take him to the vet to make sure it was not a UTI. I am sure that you know that males are prone to that, I have moved 2 times with my 11 year old Tom and the only time he ever peed in the floor was due to the UTI. He would get anxiuos over the move and strange house but still used his litter box. Also you can buy *Urine Gone* most of the big chain stores carry it. And follow directions and it will remove all cat urine odors. I buy my old Tom cat food that is supposed to guard against UTI, and he has not had a infection in about 5 years now... I'm not sure if the food helped but I'm not taking a chance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had 2 kittens they are 1 day old how long before my cat go's outside [ 7 Answers ]

My cat has just has 2 beautiful kittens she has been with them since she had them but she has come downstairs and seems to want to go outside they are just over 1 day old and both seem fine but I don't want my cat to leave them for to long. I'm not sure if she wanted to go to the litter tray as I...

My cat is peeing on my couch [ 8 Answers ]

My cat is about a year and a half old. She has started peeing on my couch, she uses her litterbox but she pees on my couch about once a week or so. I have heard that putting vinegar on the area will make them stop but it doesn't seem to be working. I am all out of answers and am hoping someone can...

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

Peeing cat [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding on how to teach a cat that the litter box is the only place to take a leak, not the living room furniture?? My wife and I have 2 yr old cat who in the last 6 months has started peeing on our the couch and chair in our living room. We clean out the...

View more questions Search