Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Balloons33 Posts: 85, Reputation: 4

Jun 18, 2007, 08:00 PM
    She dropped a big bomb
    Ok.. so in November of 2006 I was driving my boyfriends car and I backed into my friends car. That night we talked about it and decided that I was going to pay for it when they figured out a price. About a week later I asked my friend about the damage and didn't get a response so I went about my business...

Today, about 7 months later, I received an email and she is asking for $320 by next Monday.

I wrote her back telling her that I will be able to pay her back.. I AM responsible, but unfortunately it will take a bit longer than a week because I don't just have that money in my account right now, and there is no way for me to pull it out of thin air. I am going to start taking a chunk of my paycheck out each pay period so that I can get it taken care of.

Should I feel bad if I can't pay it all right away? Is she at all responsible for not contacting me with this information sooner?

I just can't fight this bad feeling like this can turn into an ugly situation... I just don't know how to stick up for myself and be responsible at the same time. Any ideas on how I should respond if she says she needs the money right away?

Can I please get your opinions on the situation.. what should I do? Thank you so much!
    LuvMyMaltipoo Posts: 281, Reputation: 39

Jun 18, 2007, 09:08 PM
    If it is truly impossible for you to get the money by then, there is nothing you can do. Pay her as much as you can, as often as you can. Of course you should get receipts each time you pay.

Explain to her that she should have given you proper notice and you would have gladly paid the money on time.

Although it is very unfair of her to wait 7 months then demand money you should also be sympathetic in the sense it WAS your fault.

Do all you can to help fix the damage and if the situation gets ugly at least you know you've tried your hardest to avoid it.

Jun 19, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Thanks! That's what I needed to hear :)
    LuvMyMaltipoo Posts: 281, Reputation: 39

Jun 19, 2007, 10:32 AM
    You're very welcome. I hope things work out and you guys will remain friends.
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Jun 19, 2007, 10:42 AM
    I agree, and really don't worry about it too much until you do get a response. She may have felt the need to put a deadline on it so that there was no question, but I would hope that since she is your friend she will understand. It sounds like you have been completely responsible and have responded to her quickly- not avoiding the situation or anything. That should tell her you are ready to pay, just not in the full amount. I hope she can in fact understand.
    Best of luck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2007, 10:58 AM
    It took her 7 months to get an estimate? The way this SHOULD have worked is she should have gone to a body shop for an estimate. She should have sent you a copy of that estimate. You would have then told her when you can have the money for her to schedule bringing the car in.

If she is a friend she show know you probably don't have that much money lying around and need time to save it up. She waited 7 months to get an estimate, she can postpone the work (or lay out the money).

Jun 19, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by s2tp
    I agree, and really dont worry about it too much until you do get a response. She may have felt the need to put a deadline on it so that there was no question, but I would hope that since she is your friend she will understand. It sounds like you have been completely responsible and have responded to her quickly- not avoiding the situation or anything. That should tell her you are ready to pay, just not in the full ammount. I hope she can in fact understand.
    Best of luck
    Thanks... I am hoping it works out too :)

Jun 19, 2007, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    It took her 7 months to get an estimate? The way this SHOULD have worked is she should have gone to a body shop for an estimate. She should have sent you a copy of that estimate. You would have then told her when you can have the money for her to schedule bringing the car in.

If she is a friend she show know you probably don't have that much money lying around and need time to save it up. She waited 7 months to get an estimate, she can postpone the work (or lay out the money).
    Thanks so much, I hope she see's things the same way :)
    gazelleintense Posts: 175, Reputation: 13

Jun 19, 2007, 02:29 PM
    I would pay her when you can, but its not fair for her to say nothing for seven months then demand it all out of thin air.

Jun 19, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gazelleintense
    I would pay her when you can, but its not fair for her to say nothing for seven months then demand it all out of thin air.
    I agree, I am still waiting for her response... eeek!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DAEWOO 1.5i big big problems [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 1994 daewoo 1.5i and recently for quite some time now when I drive about half an hour it splutters and chokes and cut's out. IT IS multi-point fuel injected. Do not know why it is doing this PLEASE HELP!! Add me on msn if you know why [email protected]

In a big, BIG hole. Have small shovel. [ 1 Answers ]

I was just served papers for a debt that I owe on a vehicle that was repo'ed. The vehicle, which was a 2005 Lotus Elise was purchased by myself and a company (the company did not have sufficient credit to purchase the car and I did not have the income to purchase the car, but together we were...

Atomic bomb [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am writing a paper for a class and need to know who it was that made the atomic bomb and then later stated that he regreted it?

A big big big problem. [ 1 Answers ]

OK.. this one is weird. When I insert a cd in my cd-rom it reads it but it doesn't updates it. Not this is not a big problem but when I insert a writable cd and click on write these new files to this cd, I get the error that there is no cd in the cd-rom. Then I restart my operating system with the...

Bug bomb fumes in my apartment [ 3 Answers ]

My land lord set off flea bombs in the apartment below us and all the fumes and gases from them started to come upstairs into my apartment and they are very toxic to humans and to my pets,:eek: They did not give me any notice that they were going to do so and I wanted to know if I have any grounds...

View more questions Search