Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tandej Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Chihuahua Potty Training
    I have a twelve week old chihuahua and I am having such a hard time potty training him. I have him in the bathroom when we are gone with a puppy pad and sometimes he will go on it and sometimes he won't. Also when I am home I will put him in there about 10 minute after he eats wait, if he goes great, but if not I let him out then go in about 10 minutes later. Sometimes he still won't go even after waiting there about 10 minutes. But as soon as we get out he goes a pees somewhere. He goes everywhere. I don't know what to do. I am getting so frustrated :confused: Does anyone have an ideas? I was told that they won't pee where they sleep but he does. He will pee on the blanket I give him to sleep on.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2007, 06:02 PM
    I really don't like pads. However other ways won't work that well if you must leave the dog over 4-5 hours. If you must leave the puppy longer than that, could you find a neighbor or a professional dog walker to give it a break mid day?

For what works for me and many others, see the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809 There is additional helpful info at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    pookiechi Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 27, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tandej
    I have a twelve week old chihuahua and I am having such a hard time potty training him. I have him in the bathroom when we are gone with a puppy pad and sometimes he will go on it and sometimes he won't. Also when I am home I will put him in there about 10 minute after he eats wait, if he goes great, but if not I let him out then go in about 10 minutes later. Sometimes he still won't go even after waiting there about 10 minutes. but as soon as we get out he goes a pees somewhere. He goes everywhere. I don't know what to do. I am getting so frustrated :confused: Does anyone have an ideas? I was told that they won't pee where they sleep but he does. He will pee on the blanket I give him to sleep on.
    Hi my chihuahua was very difficult to potty train but what I did for the first few months is that every hour, sometimes even more, I would place him on his training mat, and even now every time he uses his mat I give him a treat and praise him. Chihuahuas are very difficult to house break which is why I always have a training mat in the house, even though he also goes outside. You can also buy a spray which attractsdogs to use thri mat, however the mats already have this in them. Also, make sure you remove any smell of pee and poo so as not to encourage them to go there again. When I started praising my chihuahua every time he used his mat he started to get the hang of it. Hope this helps
    Mary Surette Posts: 43, Reputation: 0
    -

Aug 5, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tandej
    I have a twelve week old chihuahua and I am having such a hard time potty training him. I have him in the bathroom when we are gone with a puppy pad and sometimes he will go on it and sometimes he won't. Also when I am home I will put him in there about 10 minute after he eats wait, if he goes great, but if not I let him out then go in about 10 minutes later. Sometimes he still won't go even after waiting there about 10 minutes. but as soon as we get out he goes a pees somewhere. He goes everywhere. I don't know what to do. I am getting so frustrated :confused: Does anyone have an ideas? I was told that they won't pee where they sleep but he does. He will pee on the blanket I give him to sleep on.
    Reply to chihuahua owner about 12 weeks old. Well, guess what? I have a 14 week old that I used to do that with, and I started just seven days ago to train her to go potty outside exclusively. I thought that she could not go outside until she had all her shots and the vet told me that was not true. So, I use the crate method and I am not using papers at all.

I've read on the net that papers should not be used at all unless you are gone for an extended period (working hours, I guess). Thing is, I am not working right now, so I have the time.

Try not to use papers at all unless you will be out longer and keep her in her crate and train her accordingly. There are many websites on the net that provide free tips for potty training outside. So, just use the crate method and monitor her feeding and gving water times. Mary
    scac Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 09:38 AM
    I have two chihuahuas, one is about 6 months and the other is like 2 years old. My oldest one, we have trained him to when ever he has to go to the batheroom, he rings a little bell on our door. We attached the bell by a string and tied it on to the knob of the door. Try training him so when ever you think he has to go potty, you will ring the bell until he knows what to do. My other one is still clueless, but it will come slowly.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Surette
    Reply to chihuahua owner about 12 weeks old. Well, guess what? I have a 14 week old that I used to do that with, and I started just seven days ago to train her to go potty outside exclusively. I thought that she could not go outside until she had all her shots and the vet told me that was not true. So, I use the crate method and I am not using papers at all.
    In general papers and pads create more problems than they solve. It is best to start outside from the beginning unless any available area is open to poorly cared for dogs. It that case you may be safer using the pads and papers. Also in apartments with no quick access to outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Surette
    There are many websites on the net that provide free tips for potty training outside. So, just use the crate method and monitor her feeding and giving water times. Mary
    Yes it is true that there are many web sites offering housebreaking advice, but anybody reading the sticky I mentioned in my first post would agree it is much better than anything you Google up. The web is a vast trove of disinformation on dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by scac
    I have two chihuahuas, one is about 6 months and the other is like 2 years old. My oldest one, we have trained him to when ever he has to go to the batheroom, he rings a little bell on our door. we attached the bell by a string and tied it on to the knob of the door. Try training him so when ever you think he has to go potty, you will ring the bell until he knows what to do. my other one is still clueless, but it will come slowly.
    If you have a 6 month old that isn't housebroken, I suggest you read the sticky I already had posted a link to. It includes using a bell.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What about potty training? [ 9 Answers ]

My 5 1/2 yr old ADHD and bipolar granddaughter is not potty trained yet. It does not bother her to "sit in it" even to the point of making her bottom bleed. She will go potty if reminded but my mess herself 10 minutes later. We are at our wits ends! Anyone? Please? :confused:

Potty Training [ 3 Answers ]

Why is there a myth that girls are easier to potty train than boys?:)

Potty training [ 10 Answers ]

My son is almost 3 and we have been potty training for about a year when he is with his father or his grandparents he will potty on the toilet no problem but when he is with me he won't. Sometimes when I put him on the toilet he will go but other times he won't or he will throw a fit and then he...

Potty training [ 19 Answers ]

My son turned 3 years old in April and will not use the potty! He's not interested and wants nothing to do with it. We have tried all the usual approaches without any luck. Any good ideas?? I've already tried 1- putting a potty that makes a flushing sound and a hurray sound in front of the TV...

Chihuahua potty training [ 2 Answers ]

Ok Labman, here's another question for you on my Chihuahua potty training. I have a large front porch (large to my little puppy, anyway) and 5 or 6 steps that he cannot yet manage. I have a lot of leaves on my porch right now, so I started putting the puppy out there yesterday to use the bathroom...

View more questions Search