Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yogibuck Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Is a quiet title of a tax deed an attorney sham?
    Here in the state of Florida, the Florida Statutes (197.552-573) clearly states that liens and previous interests (unless exempted) DO NOT SURVIVE the issuance of a tax deed.

Municipal and other gov liens (IRS, STD's, etc) do survive. Mortgages, interests, etc. DO NOT.

But if a property owner and lender let a property go for the taxes, why the heck should somebody have to go hire an attorney to quiet the title when their interest does not survive.

This sounds like lawmakers/attorney's run amok 101.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 18, 2007, 04:25 PM
    I have bought 100's of tax properties and I have never used a quiet title court filing since as noted the tax sale clears almost all posible situations.

If you have any doubt, have a title company rule a complete title search for any problems, if something such as a sale in a community property state, where the spouse did not sign their wavier or something, it may be worth it. ( I don't, since I always sell my properties, on a limited warranty deed or a quitclaim deed)

But attorneys are in business, this is like walmart having a sale, or your char dealership offering a special, they have to try to get people to buy their services, that is how they make money.

If you are going to put a lot of money onto the property, and if you are going to sell it on a full warranty deed, it does not hurt, But if you are doing a quick turn over of the property for profit, there is little need.

Jun 19, 2007, 04:04 PM
    How do you sell tax deed properties? I've bought some, but people act like the properties have the cooties, when you tell them. I try to be up front and honest.

I could sell on a quit claim, but I would still feel obligated to state before the fact that they won't be able to get title insurance for four years.

It just seems wrong. The Florida Statutes, state that those items do not survive the sale, but I called TWO title companies in my town and they EACH stated that those mortgages DO survive the sale.

There is just so much false info out there. I feel sleezy quoting the Florida Statutes then having attornies and abstract companies contradict me.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2007, 04:57 PM
    First I don't tell them if they don't ask, and I sell most on contract for deeds to people who can't afford anything else.

The issue with mortages, is that if there is one on the property, the mortgage company always pays the tax and forecloses, I have not seen one with a real mortgage on it ever get to a tax sale.
    jon_afriend Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    I have bought 100's of tax properties and I have never used a quiet title court filing since as noted the tax sale clears almost all posible situations.

If you have any doubt, have a title company rule a complete title search for any problems, if something such as a sale in a community property state, where the spouse did not sign thier wavier or something, it may be worth it. ( I don't, since I always sell my properties, on a limited warranty deed or a quitclaim deed)

But attorneys are in business, this is like walmart having a sale, or your char dealership offering a special, they have to try to get people to buy thier services, that is how they make money.

If you are going to put alot of money onto the property, and if you are going to sell it on a full warranty deed, it does not hurt, But if you are doing a quick turn over of the property for profit, there is little need.
    Hello Fr_Chuck,

My name is Jon and I am a new member here and I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about tax sold properties? I guess the main question I have is what can I do with the property I just bought last year? I tried contacting the owner several times with no luck and then I was contacted by an attorney telling me that I have a tax deed and nothing more and that I have no rights on that property and then the attorney went on to tell me to watch my step because he doesn't want to see me in trouble... What do I own? I really want to rent the property out or sell it I am really not sure at this point but hearing all this I am really confussed. If you can shed any light on this I would be very grateful, Thank you very much.

Yours truly,
    Jon of Pennsylvania
    DianeV Sr Loan Officer Posts: 76, Reputation: 9

Jul 25, 2007, 07:39 PM
    I think I would have someone clear the title no matter what. This can save a lot of headaches. I was under the impression that when a property is sold at tax sale the current owner has one year to redeem it and claim it back. I could be wrong. But I have always to been taught to get a full warranty deed as a opposed to any other deed when purchasing because it offers the most protection on the title.

Mar 28, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DianeV Sr Loan Officer
    I think I would have someone clear the title no matter what. This can save a lot of headaches. I was under the impression that when a property is sold at tax sale the current owner has one year to redeem it and claim it back. I could be wrong. But I have always to been taught to get a full warranty deed as a opposed to any other deed when purchasing because it offers the most protection on the title.
    Well, it varies from state to state. But here in Florida, the statutes clearly state that they can only ATTEMPT to reclaim the property IF the county screws up the notice/advertising.

That's it.

And the county has very little responsibility to chase these folks down. As in notice is sent to the last known address. So its hard to screw up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Deed Sale Title Question... Marketable title? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, I was wondering if anybody was familiar with titles from tax deed sales. I am a beginner to the topic, but just was looking for some advice from some of you real-estate savvy experts out there. My question is about the title of a deed bought from a tax sale... How do you find out...

Do I need an attorney for a Quiet Title Action? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I purchased a condo a few years ago, which came with a parking space. The guy who owns the condo across from me bought his unit through a HUD foreclosure. At the time of his sale, the Public Trustee gave him MY parking space and I just want to get it back. Apparently, there were some title...

Suit for Quiet Title on Tax Sale Properties [ 1 Answers ]

I have some properties that I bought in Colorado through the county tax lien process. You buy the lien, then the county does the foreclosure process at the tax lien holders request and you get a deed from the county. The title insurance companies will not insure this title and I was told you need...

Quiet Title A marketable title? [ 2 Answers ]

My mother and father have passed away and we, the heirs, are trying to sell the property to settle the estate. My father paid cash for this house 18 years ago and evidently obtained a quit claim to the property. The research to the property is moving at a snail's pace as there have been several...

Corrective Deed, New Quit Claim Deed, or See an Attorney? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a major problem with a quit claim deed that was done regarding my father's property. The intention was to put me in the deed but as an heir to the property, not as a co-owner or anything like that. So, a quit claim deed was filled out and recorded at the clerk of the circuit court. However,...

View more questions Search