Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MJ Jacobs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Shower diverter turns but doesn't work!
    We bought a house for our daughter and in both bathrooms the shower diverter is not working. It is the type that turns from left to right but actually it now turns all the way around. On one of the two you can get it to work if you tweak it just right, but the other isn't working at all. I do not know the faucet or valve maker but it looks like a pretty standard set-up. If it helps, the house was built in 1981.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 19, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Remove the knob and face plate from the diverter, (see image). On the diverter that turns all the way around it sounds like one of two things. The knob/spline is stripped or the threads on the stem's stripped. The other sounds like the washer needs to be replaced. You will know better once you open them up. You shouldn't have to shut the water off as long as you don't turn on the valve when the diverter stem and washer assembly is out of the valve body. Good luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Diverter [ 1 Answers ]

The water in my shower comes out mostly from the tub faucet and not the shower faucet (which I assume is a problem with the diverter) but what I don't understand is that the water pouring out of the tub end is scalding hot, while the water coming out of the shower end is only warm. Then they both...

Shower diverter [ 5 Answers ]

I moved into an older home (30 yrs old) and found that the bathtub and shower would both expel water... I replaced the diverter stem and still have problem. I checked for debris and trash but still can't solve problem. I am beginning to think I replaced the stem, but that previous owner used...

Shower diverter [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the shower diverter and seat due the shower and tub running at the same time and I still have the same problem. I have taken out the diverter numerous times and don't see anything wrong with it. ANy help would be appreciated. Oh, it is a sasco valve with a separate hot, cold and diverter...

Shower diverter? [ 6 Answers ]

When I turn on the water, then go to turn the faucet (wall type diverter with spring) for the shower, the water still comes out of the spout and just about half of the water comes out of the shower head. I have already replaced the diverter with a new one (much stronger spring as the old spring was...

Shower Diverter Won't Work [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - the faucet in my shower is the type where you pull down the spout and then the water comes out of the shower. It worked, and then five minutes later when I wanted to use it again, it didn't work! The pull down just didn't seem to catch. Is this something that I can replace on my own? Are...

View more questions Search