Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Michelle Holdcraft Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 06:40 AM
    The Pirate Movie, starring Christy McNichol
    I purchased my favorite movie online: The Pirate's Movie, starring Christy McNichol. But, when I received the movie, I tried to play it in my dvd player, and it said "wrong region." So, I tracked the company down, and they told me that it is a european dvd, and that I will not be able to play it on my dvd player. And they will not refund my $. So, my question is this: Can I play a european dvd on my laptop? And, if so, is there anything different I need to do to do this? And, if no, then is there ANY way I will EVER be able to watch this movie? Thank you.

Michelle Holdcraft

Jun 18, 2007, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Holdcraft
    I purchased my favorite movie online: The Pirate's Movie, starring Christy McNichol. But, when I recieved the movie, I tried to play it in my dvd player, and it said "wrong region." So, I tracked the company down, and they told me that it is a european dvd, and that I will not be able to play it on my dvd player. And they will not refund my $. So, my question is this: Can I play a european dvd on my laptop? And, if so, is there anything different I need to do to do this? And, if no, then is there ANY way I will EVER be able to watch this movie? Thank you.

Michelle Holdcraft
    I purchased my favorite movie online: The Pirate's Movie, starring Christy McNichol. But, when I received the movie, I tried to play it in my dvd player, and it said "wrong region." So, I tracked the company down, and they told me that it is a european dvd, and that I will not be able to play it on my dvd player. And they will not refund my $. So, my question is this: Can I play a european dvd on my laptop? And, if so, is there anything different I need to do to do this? And, if no, then is there ANY way I will EVER be able to watch this movie? Thank you.

Michelle Holdcraft
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jun 18, 2007, 06:44 AM
    What software do you use to play the dvd?
    What make of dvd player is on your laptop?
    There is more than likely a hack for the software or the hardware
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

Jun 18, 2007, 06:47 AM
    They have region free dvd players as I have seen by looking this up on Google Region Free DVD Player Multi region dvd players code free ; now this is only if you want to go as far as this for your movie/movies. BUT I'll say this now; there MAY be a codec for your labtop dvd player that will enable it to play dvds of other regions. I will look this up in detail a little bit later and see if there is one.

Jun 18, 2007, 06:47 AM
    I am not sure... it says: Power DVDXP. I have an HP Compac Laptop.

Jun 18, 2007, 06:48 AM
    Ok so it has been 2 minutes and I think I found a codec for you on your labtop (LOL :P that was fast) Free-Codecs.com :: Download DVD Region+CSS Free 5.9.8.5 and DVD Region+CSS Free Lite 5.9.8.5

Hope this works for you.

Jun 18, 2007, 06:51 AM
    To Superfly999: I am not stupid when it comes to this stuff, but I think I might need an easier, more descriptive answer. So, just download that, then what? Are you saying that I should be able to watch it then?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Michelle,

That software may only allow you to watch the DVD on your computer not your DVD player hooked up to your TV. I'm not sure about the legality of that software but it's worth a try.

Jun 18, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Yes, download it. Some codecs just stay on your computer and you don't have to do anything; but as for this one it looks like an actual program. I would just download it and go from there as I have never used it. Although, I can say that I have used free-codecs.com a lot for my anime watching as they require a lot of different codecs for the formats that are released for the anime shows and free-codecs.com haven't let me down yet. But yea, I would just say download it, see if it is a program or just needs to be on your computer (most likely a program as far as I can see), and go from there. This is the best I can do at this time being that I am on a school computer atm.

*EDIT do to NK's post* Yes, this is only for your labtop dvd player and not your external dvd player that hooks up to your TV
    willianbush2015 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2011, 11:42 PM
    It was just informative news sharing and it's really helpful for everyone. Thanks for that.
    - <a href="http://www.world-import.com/portable-dvd.htm">region free dvd</a>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Very Very Vague Description of 80's Children Movie... Need movie title [ 8 Answers ]

Ok there's probably no hope here but I'll try anyway... There is a movie I watched when I was very young and would like to get a hold of it. It was in the mid 80's when I watched it but the movie could have been made in the 70's sometime. Pretty much the only part I can remember is these...

Early 90's show about a pirate ghost [ 3 Answers ]

This has been driving me nuts for a while: Does anyone remember the title of a show, late 80's/early 90's, only last one year, where a guy buys or inherits a house in the Caribbean and discovers it is haunted by the ghost of a black pirate. The two team up, the living guy dresses up and pretends...

80s hbo pirate cartoon? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know much but slight details my older brother reminded me about a sci fi cartoon with piratelike characters and the captain pirate had somekind of eypiece and some other guy had one eye(huge eye) and you that's all I remember its not stargazer. Thanks please help Ive searched all of Google.

Cartoon Pirate movie from the early to mid 1980's [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! I'm looking for a children's pirate cartoon from the early to mid 1980's. I'd say no later 1987, but I'm not positive. I think my dad recorded it off HBO or Showtime because there were no commercials. The cartoon was about a boy,who was from the present, and he somehow gets...

Caribbean Pirate Movie without Cofresi? [ 6 Answers ]

I was recently seeing a preview of the movie Pirates of the Caribean and couldn't help but notice the glaring omission of the famous Puerto Rican Pirate Cofresi who was wreaking havoc wth shipping in that area. In fact, other nations protested to Spain asking the government to stop him. He was said...

View more questions Search