Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jun 18, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Pregnant goats
    My father-in-law just bought 2 pregnant boar goats. I know nothing about goats and he doesn't know much either. Does anyone have any advice to give about taking care of two goats? And any advice about what to do when they go into labor and how to tend to the babies? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Actually I have a question, why would he buy goats if he doesn't know how to take care of them, has no idea what to do while they are pregnant, doesn't know how to deliver them and presumably has no idea how to take care of baby goats.

Also, why goats at all?

Contact a vet specializing in farm animals and ask for advice.
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jun 18, 2007, 04:28 PM
    I don't know if you meant to but your answer seemed a little rude. He has done research and read up about goats and taking care of them. I probably shouldn't have said he doesn't know much. This is just his first time raising goats, everyone starts from the beginning. I just figured someone that has had experience with goats might have some usefule advice that you might not find in your readings and regular Google searches.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jun 19, 2007, 03:10 PM
    I also have recently adopted two goats from someone who could not care for them.I have a large male and his baby,which is also a male.the mother died soon after giving birth because the other two goats ate all her food,so she starved.I adopted the two males,and will not have any more because,it is hard to keep them separate.Worms will also kill the mother and baby,so be sure you deworm them a few weeks after birth.too many male goats with one female goat can kill her also.they will breed her to the point of exhaustion.
    goatgoat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 12:14 PM
    I would just like to say that I also think that the first answer was rude!
    I am on 14 going onto 15 and I have two angora goats which are actually away for breeding.
    I have only had them for 10 months.
    there are 7 people in our house and none of them like to help me out with them, and I can't blame them because they didn't really agree to get the goats. And now I am going to have more.
    (I was going to get a pony but there was too much expence, so a local stable has two goats so I decided to get some, many people ask me as well WHY GOATS!
    JUST TELL THEM "THATS WHAT I DECIDED SO DEAL WITH IT!"

bekah876 your father- in -law has now had them since 2007 (I hope he still has them, let me know) so I'm sure he has had help and is a good carer!

good luck
    *^*^*^*HAPPY NEW YEAR 2010*^*^*^*

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Best way to tame goats [ 9 Answers ]

We recently bought a Boer cross momma and her two babies. The kids are approximately 8 weeks old. I have two daughters who want nothing more than to love on them and play with them but the kids keep taking off! We bring treats and momma is fine but babies still pretty skittish. Any ideas?

Goats [ 1 Answers ]

Can you over feed a goat kid? The reason I ask is because I have one that it seems like he eats constantly and his stomach keeps on growing but the rest him seems to be staying small. Am I feeding him the right feed or should I be doing something different?:( I feel really bad about this and I...

Anybody know about goats? [ 1 Answers ]

I am very concerned about my goat. After being pregnant at least two weeks longer than the normal gestation period, she finally delivered one live baby and one long-dead baby this morning. She'd gotten absolutely huge. Massive. I'm pretty sure she has an infection, but there are no vets out here...

View more questions Search