Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kirpal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 05:00 AM
    What shoul I do if anything?
    Hi,

I was diagnosed with PCOS over 5 years ago and given metformin as treatment. I have for the past 2 years had normal regular periods on time that last normally up to 7 days and are of normal flow. For the last 3 or 4 periods I have had my periods are normally a little late or too early, my flow of period has also changed. It has become very light and looks almost as if the bleeding has been watered down! My periods now only last a maximum of 5 days. Should I get this checked and can you tell me why this maybe?

Regards,

Kirpal.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 18, 2007, 05:14 AM
    This is an interesting question because metformin is treatment for diabetes type 2. Nowhere could I find why it is used to treat PCOS. I could only come up with PCOS being an insulin based condition and then back to square one.

Are you on a blood thinner as well?

I am trying different options to give you an answer, to so bear with me and let me know what other types of meds you are on.
    Kirpal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2007, 07:10 AM
    Hi Tickle, thanks for your feedback!

Just to try and give you some more information, I did query me having to take metformin as my mother in law takes it for her diabetes, the doctor said I am not diabetic it's just that my body does not burn carbohydrates so this will help burn them. No I do not take any other medication or any blood thinners!

Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    This is an interesting question because metformin is treatment for diabetes type 2. Nowhere could I find why it is used to treat PCOS. I could only come up with PCOS being an insulin based condition and then back to square one.

Are you on a blood thinner as well?

I am trying different options to give you an answer, to so bear with me and let me know what other types of meds you are on.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 19, 2007, 05:01 AM
    Kirpal, this condition, you may know, is a hormonal disorder characterized by irregular periods and seeing as it is hormonal, I can understand the dysfunction and irregularity in your menstruating cycle. The consistency of the discharge would tie in with this as well.

If you are not comfortable and need further guidance I would suggest seeing your doctor.

After reading up on your condition, I can see why metformin was prescribed, to burn carbs faster.
    moomin007 Posts: 158, Reputation: 33

Jun 19, 2007, 05:06 AM
    Hi,
    I took Metformin for my PCOS for 4 years and it made no difference for me. :(
    It used to help with the sugar absorption. As insulin is a hormone, it is used to help the hormone break down sugars in the body. It does not work for everyone.

Good luck with the PCOS!
    Moomin
    :)

Jun 19, 2007, 08:01 AM
    It sure is!!
    I LOVE potatoes & bread!!

:p
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Metformin does not work for everybody because;

1) no change in diet
    2) no change in activity level
    3) metformin must be at 1500 to 2000 mil a day to start weightloss.

If you eat a well balanced meal and get plenty of exercise it will come off. I have lost between 50-55 lbs. it is not a magic pill. It does not help you lose weight unless you help yourself.

Jun 19, 2007, 11:39 PM
    Well that's your experience but not mine.
    Well done you though!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shoul I do it? Should I adopt? [ 10 Answers ]

:( I have wanted to adopt a child since last year, but I have some doubts, I would be a single parent. And I am worried that something might happen like in the movies, my child will find out and leave home. And I can't have a real baby because my doctors say that I have a stomach problem that...

I shoul do what I fell or what everybody thinks is correct? [ 33 Answers ]

I am in love with a married man... everything is special... he is that "something that u wait all your life"... and it was never about sex or having fun with a married man... and I think is the same thing with him... I know in a way that what I am doing is wrong but something is pushing me to...

Who shoul claim my son this year? [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have a 7 month old son.We live together but we are not married. Who should claim my son or does it matter? Would one of us get more than the other? If it's the same for both of us do you know how much it is for one dependent?

View more questions Search