Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lzt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 09:27 PM
    rotted wood
    My daughter and I started to replace the rotted siding on my house and discovered that to my dismay about a twelve foot area of the floor sill is badly damaged by water and a couple of the studs need to be replaced as well. It also seems that the buillders neglected to put any wood sheathing in half of this area (about 22"w x 8' high, I did not go any higher) between a door and window. They put insulation in the walls and then covered it with the particle board insulation and no house warp. The house is about 25 years old.

How do I fix the sill and studs? And is there any reason for the lack of sheathing?

Thank you.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 18, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Unless You Have Some Background I Can't Advise You To Try And Replace The Sill And Studs , Due Mainly Beacause This Is Load Bearing And If You Were To Cut The Wrong Thing At The Wrong Time, Someone Will Get Hurt, If You Still Want To Know I Just Answered A Similar Question On This Same Subject You Can Look That Up,
    As Far As The Sheathing, Its All About Saving Money, There Is A Big Difference In Price On Regular Sheathing And What You Have On There Now.
    A lot Of Time They'll Use The Osb On Corners Of The House And Other Places That They Need To Keep Square While Framing The House, The Other Is Just Fill In And They Use The Cheaper, It Is Actually A Better Insulation Grade Than Osb.

As Far As House Wrap It Isn't Code To Do It, And 25 Years Ago I Think We Were Using Black Paper To Wrap Houses Then,

If You Still Want To Try An Fix It, Send Me A Pic Of The Rott And Ill Be Happy To Give You Step By Step Instuctions Will Alow You To Be Safe While Getting This Done,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood paneling [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a house with ugly brown wood panneling :( For a cost effective solution (for now) instead of ripping it down, can we paint it? How about white washing it? Would white washing it make it look more like birch? We have the northwoods theme going on so that might work. ANy advice...

Must remove concrete floor section to replace rotted rod iron drain pipe in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove concrete flooring section in a bathroom? We found a broken rotten rod iron drain pipe when tearing out walls for remodeling and unfortunately (blessing) found out the pipe was rotted. Plumber says to replace with PVC but we have to dig up/cut up the floor ourselves....

Rotted Subfloor and Tough Flange [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Recently I bought a new townhome built in late 60's. The old subfloor (both layers) was bad and I have the subfloor cut completely out but now I am stuck in that I cannot remove the flange from the pipe, I know the pipe is copper and I believe it is 3". The reason I need to remove the flange...

How to repair a rotted roof rafter? [ 3 Answers ]

Can a damaged roof rafter be replaced without removing roof decking and shingles?

Rotted green board behind bathroom tiles [ 1 Answers ]

I began to repair some cracked grout in my shower stall and as I was raking it out, 4 tiles just pushed into the wall. The cracks had let in water and the green board behind it was wet and crumbled. Can I patch this with a new piece of green board or should I have a pro come in and rip out all of...

View more questions Search