Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eagle_eye42 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jun 17, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Blue jays vs. cats
    I have an outside cat that is always being harassed by 2 blue jays. I feel sorry for the cat,
    But don't know if there is anything I can do.Can someone help me out on this one?
    Thank You Robin:)
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2007, 08:59 PM
    Lol, I had the same problem with mocking birds , this only happened in the spring/ early summer when the were building their nest, and having young. These birds would take turns tormenting my cat and he weighs 14 pounds and has claws. It got so bad that the dogs would start barking and growling before I could even hear them, So I knew it was time to get the cat in.. lo and behold he would be crouched down on the porch slapping as they took turns swooping, sometimes I would have to sling a shoe at them to make them go away or let my little yappers out. The side porch where the birds seemed to protect, that area I tried to keep a something sitting so the cat could escape behind it. They usually go away after they have their babies and they fly away. But they sure are a pain until they leave! This is the first time in 4 years that they did not torment him. They must have moved on, also I have 2 more cats than I had last spring. Other than tear down their nest (if you could find it) I don't know what else you could do. :(
    eagle_eye42 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jun 18, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Thanks for your reply,I know when I lived in N.Ga. They would do the same to my cats there to.. it takes the poor cat forever to get from one place to another,he will just meow and then lay there for a minute,then try again... LOL.. :o
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jun 19, 2007, 03:15 PM
    The birds are protecting their nest.My cats get tagged daily,and sometimes they catch and kill the birds.I find them on my porch,then I feel sorry for the baby birds left without a mom
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Jun 20, 2007, 04:57 AM
    One way of keeping the birds at bay is to put up mirrors , angles slightly upwards so when the jays see it they will think it is another bird and steer clear the territory or even use cd s to help , fasten them up somewhere your cat likes to lie regularly and she should be able to hide in their and the cds reflect the birds and keep them away :)

This also works for sparrow hawks, any form of raptor, magpies, etc etc
    Also by cutting out a sillhouette of the bird type and fixing it somewhere make sure it is strong and won't break easily , that may help also :)

Katie
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Jun 20, 2007, 12:42 PM
    You can also tie tin foil on a string so it rattles and reflects when the wind is blowing or a bird flys close to it and scares the birds off from by your house, forgot to mention that one, this may not scare it completely away though it just acts as a deterrent :)

But watch you don't tie it near to the nest they need to be free from fear in order to feed the chicks :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My new female cats hates all my male cats! [ 3 Answers ]

I just got a new female cat but she is like a year old, all my male cats like her and want to see her buy she just starts hissing at them and they get away... I want them to get along but I don't know how... I have 4 males one is a year old , the othere one is 5 months and the other 2 are 2...

2 cats [ 6 Answers ]

I've got 2 cats one is a 2 year old and the mother of the other one that was born in June. Both are female. The mother is VERY laid back and affectionate the youngster is the opposite yet they've always got along, till now. I just walked into the kitchen and as usual the young one nudged mum out...

Cats [ 2 Answers ]

I will be bringing home a six week old boxer puppy soon and I already have a 1yr old cat. He is very active and aggressive how can I integrate them with out him hurting the puppy?:o

Cats not getting along [ 3 Answers ]

I have just got a large male rescue cat, and for the past 4 weeks, my existing cat has hidden in her bed, not interested at all in food or getting any cuddles from us. I am worried they won't get on ever. I could separate their food as I did when he first moved in, but the rescue cat just goes...

Too many cats? [ 8 Answers ]

My significant other moved into my place with me last year. I already had 5 cats. They are all cats I found on the street and adopted. Hey, I was single! When he moved in, he had a cat of his own plus his step-mom gave us another cat last year. So now we have 7. We do not plan on taking in...

View more questions Search