Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PixieMama Posts: 68, Reputation: 8

Jun 17, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Ancient mayan calendar end date in 2012
    During the last year I kept stumbling upon information regarding 2012, more specifically the 21st of December 2012 (12/21/12) and have become very interested in what the ancient Mayans knew surrounding this upcoming event for Earth and the Uinverse and the Universal beings here awaiting this event.

Anyone here know about/learning about/interedted in/waiting for 2012? Just curious...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 17, 2007, 08:03 PM
    For the conspiracy nuts, it is the date that the government "time machine" made using results from the Philadlphia experiments can not get past and show clear results.

It is the date of a possible UFO invasion by the UFO beleivers in some circles ( related also to the believed dimensional travel done in the above experiment who related it to another dimension instead of time travel.

The Mayan calendar cycles and all cycles end on that date, thus showing that all things are completed.

I still have plenty of time to make my sign to go down down with
    * repent the end is near** perhaps I can do a internet sign instead.
    wickedimp Posts: 57, Reputation: 14

Jun 18, 2007, 05:22 AM
    I remember reading about this a number of years ago. The Mayans (who correctly predicted the end of their own society) were superb mathematicians and astronomers. If memory serves me correctly you are quite right about the 2012 date given by Mayan calculation to mark the end of the world. However, as a keen scientist or at least someone with a scientific mind I am in doubt in two areas.

1. Mayan calendars differ a vast amount to our own date system of which we have had two over the last 1000 years (Georgian and Julian), calculations between these systems has many compounded variables so a date of 2012 could as easily be 2012+/- 10-100

2. Since archaeologists are merely 'interpreting' the Mayan data the meaning for 'end' may well not mean 'end' as we see it. Much in the same way that the death card in the tarot actually means change rather than death.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 18, 2007, 05:26 AM
    Simple really the Mayans forgot to buy the Extended version of their calandar and all you have to do is turn ot over and start again.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jun 18, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Obviously nobody told Uncle Bill, as my outlook calendar goes passed this date! At least if it's the end of the world I can save on Christmas presents that year. Hmm why save? Everyone can have a Porsche/Ferrari/Lambourghini... on the credit card!
    PixieMama Posts: 68, Reputation: 8

Jun 18, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Haha. I'm glad you can all make light of this.

Actually, as Wickedimp said, the ancient mayans were great mathematicians and astronomers. To this date their calendar is the only one that has never errored. If you read what is written in the many different places it is written about, this event is sometimes referred to as the 'rapture' by the christians (though no date is given for that), 'the end times' by metaphysicians/new agey types, and going even deeper down the rabbit hole there is all sorts of Universal theories (and yes, regarding 'alien' life).

I'm more interested in the spiritual outlook on the matter. I was hoping to get a response from some starseeds (if there are any on this forum).

Who knows what will ACTUALLY happen on 12-21-12. Maybe nothing at all. Or maybe something wonderful. Or maybe it will be the 'end' of the world as you know it. Though, I don't think it will be END of the world in a literal sense. But who knows. I was just interested in finding others who share common interests. Sorry if I busted anyone's bubble in posting this.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 18, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Pixie, bear in mind how many times we have lived through the "end of the world" already with no ill effect, making light is about the best response.

Hey If the Mayans are right then I'll be the first to admit I was wrong ;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 18, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Well perhaps the world really ended at 2000 and we just don't realise it.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2007, 08:46 PM
    2012 is the year WalMart takes over the world to become our new form of Globalist dictatorship. That old guy at the door will implant a chip in your forehead and when you checkout, you bow down and swipe your noggin over the reader on the counter... directly in front of a statue of George W. Bush with Devil horns.

WHAT?
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2007, 10:18 AM
    No, but seriously folks, 2012 is the year that the Watchers return to guide all of humanity to truth... well, their truth anyway. When that happens, Christ has no choice but to step in and destroy them.
    Beachgrl Posts: 34, Reputation: 8

Jul 3, 2007, 03:57 AM
    I have been very interested in this predicton also and read up on it many years ago but unfortunately have forgotten most of it. From what I remember the mayans say there are five cycles and each one has ended in some sort of catastrophe. We are now in the 5th cycle, and the mayan calendar or fifth cycle is set to end on December 21st 2012. That day is also a winter solstice, and I believe that the planets are set to align that day as well. Nobody knows how the mayans knew this back then but I believe the mayans knew much more back then than we do now, but anywayz... Also, I heard somewhere that the mayan calendar was actually slightly more accurate than the calendar we use today.
    wickedimp Posts: 57, Reputation: 14

Jul 3, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Further research into known asteroid paths for the year 2012 charts earth's nearest encounter with one object coming as close as 0.27AU (25098089.7 miles) to give you a little comparison our own moon is 0.00256955214AU (238855 miles) distant.

In conclusion the 'threat', if any, is terrestrial or unknown extra-terrestrial in nature.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2007, 07:27 AM
    I bet the Mayans came through the Stargate that's how they knew so much...
    TigersEye Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Jul 12, 2007, 10:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PixieMama
    Durring the last year I kept stumbling upon information regarding 2012, more specifically the 21st of December 2012 (12/21/12) and have become very interested in what the ancient Mayans knew surrounding this upcoming event for Earth and the Uinverse and the Universal beings here awaiting this event.

Anyone here know about/learning about/interedted in/waiting for 2012? Just curious...
    PixieMama,

There are a lot of theories on this. The Mayans weren't the only ones who mentioned 2012, 'seers' from many societies gave that date as a big one. There are a lot of book out on the subject, like "The Disappearance of the Universe" and some specifically titled 2012, which you can find at Barnes & Noble. Everyone has their own ideas about what 2012 will entail, if anything, which is why I haven't really studied it. I've heard some people say that those who 'need' an apocalypse will have it.

My own gut feeling is that there will be a major consciousness shift, similar to the Harmonic Convergence of 1987. (Google that, and check out Harmonic Convergence: Information from Answers.com ). I'm hoping the world, as a whole, will become slightly more enlightened. If it doesn't, it doesn't, but there's always hope. I also think that if it happens, Indigos will play a big part in that!
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jul 12, 2007, 10:48 PM
    I looked at my calendar and it ends 12/31/07 the end is near everyone panic!! :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2007, 11:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    well perhaps the world really ended at 2000 and we just don't realise it.
    I like the idea of quantum immortality - it's like the many worlds hypothesis in quantum mechanics. That every single decision or alternate event creates a different world in which that decision was made differently. If you die in a number of worlds due to a guy shooting you, there will be a subset of worlds in which you don't die. These worlds are the only worlds you continue to observe because they're the only worlds that you are conscious in.

Maybe many of the worlds ended in 2000 for whatever reason, and we are living in the small subset of worlds that didn't end. The main problem with the theory is that it's totally unprovable until you die... which in this interpretation will never happen.

As for the 2012 thing... Why would you make a calender more than 1000 years into the future? My calender ends on the 31st December 2007, that doesn't mean the world is going to end.
    Are you actually proposing that they would have made an INFINITE CALENDER that covers every single day for the entirity of existence?

There's 2 reasons the calender ends on that day:

1. End of the world, so no point writing further dates
    2. Kind of got bored writing down all the dates 1000 years in the future

I know which is more likely.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Jul 13, 2007, 12:20 AM
    Stargate, aliens, end of the world, FTL travel... I like this site take your pick WELCOME TO EXIT MUNDI: A COLLECTION OF END-OF-WORLD SCENARIOS
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2007, 12:24 AM
    I prefer How to destroy the Earth @ Things Of Interest

:)
    ABurningMan Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Sep 12, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Here is something that's kind of off topic but related to the subject

I don't want to offend anyone by mentioning this,

When you add 11 to 2001 you get 2012

2001 + 11 = 2012

I'm not going to explain what's significant about
    The number 11 and the year 2001 out of respect

It might not be armageddon
    But I have a really bad feeling that something really bad might happen on 2012

Not because of the mayan calender,
    But because there were to many coincidences about september 11th
    and 2012 would be the perfect coincidence

And there is a whole lot of people that want to see something really bad happen to the U.S.
    Lets face it, the united states have pissed off a lot of countries

Anyway,
    My opinion is that I may or may not happen

I think that it is people's decisions that make prophecies come true
    Mabey the fate of the world will all come down to a decision

A war will go on forever until one side gives up or one side is totally annihilated

I really hope obama get's voted in...
    It's like if you could go back to before george bush was ever voted in,
    You totally would have voted for Al Gore I hope
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2008, 02:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ABurningMan
    Here is something that's kind of off topic but related to the subject

I don't want to offend anyone by mentioning this,

when you add 11 to 2001 you get 2012

2001 + 11 = 2012

I'm not going to explain what's significant about
    the number 11 and the year 2001 out of respect

It might not be armageddon
    but I have a really bad feeling that something really bad might happen on 2012

not because of the mayan calender,
    but because there were to many coincidences about september 11th
    and 2012 would be the perfect coincidence

and there is a whole lot of people that want to see something really bad happen to the U.S.
    lets face it, the united states have pissed off a lot of countries

Anyways,
    My opinion is that I may or may not happen

I think that it is people's decisions that make prophecies come true
    Mabey the fate of the world will all come down to a decision

A war will go on forever until one side gives up or one side is totally annihilated

I really hope obama get's voted in...
    it's like if you could go back to before george bush was ever voted in,
    you totally would have voted for Al Gore I hope
    The Julian Calendar is not based on anything astronomical - surely you should be using something like the lunar calendar for numerology?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Ancient egypt [ 2 Answers ]

If the middle kingdom in ancient egypt was from 2050-1750 BC and new kingdom began in 1550 BC what do we call time in between

Ancient civilizations [ 1 Answers ]

Why were the early chinese unaware of other ancient civilizations in egypt mesopotamia and india? Can you describe three actions the emperor Shi Huangdi took to unite china. Why did the han dynasty promote the ideas of confucius?

To-date total based on current date [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I am trying to create a forumula that will give a cumulative or "to-date" total that will exclude future months from the total. i.e. ithe point in time is August and I need to show a to-date number Through August only even though September and October are included in The...

Front-end vs. Back-end Tech Writing [ 4 Answers ]

What's the difference? Can someone give me an example of both? I'm SO confused! :confused: Thanks in advance. -HBG

F-1 to H-1, what's the start date of H-1? Should be approval date or visa issue day? [ 3 Answers ]

As I mention before, I changed from F-1 to H-1 last year. I got my H-1 status in Feb 2004, but I went to my home country to get the H-1 visa stamp in August 2004. So I would like to know for counting my H-1 status, is it the date that USCIS (the Immigration) approved (which is Feb 1st), or the...

View more questions Search