Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MZullo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Do I need a filter or a pump?
    Hey everyone. New here. I have a Hayward DE filter that's tired(10 seasons), and looses pressure after about 15 minutes of use requiring me to go "bump" the pressure. When I do that, its fine for another 15, all the while the pump has stayed on and running seemingly smooth. Do I just need a new filter? Or do they go hand in hand? Its really a pain to take apart the filter and clean off the tenticles. Any input would be appreciated!
    serendipity pools Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jun 19, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Hi there,

Could you please describe what you mean when you say "bump the filter pressure"? Obviously you should not need to "bump" anything in order to have your circulation system run trouble free. Your pump and filter are two seprate items and you should not need to repair or replace both of them. That being said, more information is required in order to determine which of these are failing.

Steve Goodale
    Serendipity Pools
    MZullo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 07:25 PM
    I guess I should have said primed, with the lever on the filter. The directions said 3 times should be enough, but I find to get it to a number 10, I have to pump it at least 6 or 7 times. Thanks for the prompt answer!
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2007, 08:19 PM
    You don't describe the system well -- I am familiar with hydraulic pumps -- a clogged filter could make you loose pressure but there is also a suction line down in tank that pulls oil to prime pump, if oil level is below siphon pipe it will loose prime...
    Suggest you change oil, filter and intake strainer, make sure they are not the problem...
    Make sure there are no leaks around pump when it is running ---
    If it leaks repair pump...
    Then check prime syphon pipe to make sure it is getting oil (should be smaller hydraulic hose) should sit 2 to 3 inches off bottom of tank...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sand filter [ 1 Answers ]

After our pool is cleaned, an hour later there will be sand on the bottom of the pool again. What is the prob? :( :eek: :confused:

Where is the fuel filter [ 1 Answers ]

I've been trying to fix my car, but no gas is getting to the engine. Everybody is telling me they can here the fuel pump turn on so I'm thinking it's the fuel filter or one of the fuel wires or cloged.. CAn any one help me... The car sounds like it's going to turn over any second but won't I...

Filter for furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a 1989 Fleetwood moblie home. It has in Intertherm furnace in it. The model number is MGH-055-ABWN-06. I am having trouble locating the filter on my furnace. Please help if you can. :confused:

Water Filter [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, After replacing my less than four year old water heater due to build up of crud I was wondering if there is a filter I can put on after the HWH to catch any crud that may slip through. My wife was complaining about pieces of rock in the water when she was taking a hot bath so I...

View more questions Search