Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rawr_itssonya Posts: 60, Reputation: 6

Jun 17, 2007, 12:36 PM
    I have african american hair. And it won't grow.
    I have tried everything. What should I do?? I think my main issue is that I have baaaad split ends. What should I do about these?
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jun 19, 2007, 06:11 PM
    Sweetie, there is nothing that you can do to make your hair grow faster or longer. Hair grows a half inch a month whether your African American, Hispanic, Asian or Caucasian. As for the split ends, I recommend that you get them trimmed.
    MrsHec4 Posts: 118, Reputation: 4

Jun 22, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Your split ends have nothing to do with your hair growing since it grows from the root, you should have your split ends trimmed because they can cause your hair to break off un-evenly when it does grow. As for helping your hair to grow try Dr. miracle products or products that stimulate the roots like botanicals brand products with menthol in it. It worked for me.
    Black n Proud Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jun 30, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Have you tried giving your hair a break from day to day combing by twisting it in very small sections or braiding it (not too tight at the roots though as this can be damaging). Keep the style for 2-3 months at a time. This can be very helpful for hair growth.
    Thecutiest1318 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Go to a stylist or experienced hair care professional who can examine your hair for split ends. An inch or two may need to be removed, but it is healthier for your hair in the long run. Only allow your hair to be trimmed once a year. Hair only grows 1/2 inch per month, if it is cut every time you go to the hair dresser, you will not gain any length on your hair.
    Wash and condition your hair often (every 3 to 4 days). Hair that is well conditioned grows well.
    Use a daily moisturizer or leave-in conditioner as black hair is prone to dryness. Only apply the moisturizer to the ends. Ultra Black Hair Crème Moisturizer is an excellent choice.
    Try to prevent excessive heat and dryness when styling hair. If you are a fan of blow-outs, try to avoid having your hair blown out when wet because this can lead to breakage and hair damage. And if you hair is breaking off, it will not get longer.
    Try to air dry your hair instead, this way it will not break and it will grow longer.
    If you have chemically relaxed hair avoid permanent hair dye. Rinses and semi-permanent colors that wash out are best for black hair.
    Deep condition your hair every two weeks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

African American Hair [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering if there is a way to make african american hair wavy? I usually perm it but it doesn't stay wavy for long.

African American People [ 88 Answers ]

What are you using to lighten your skin? ... What has worked for you Chemical peels? Creams? Pills? or aLL three?

Skin lightner for African/African American/Black people? [ 46 Answers ]

Ok I am fairly new on this site and I am having a hard time figuring out what race is everyone. I am not trying to racist or anything. What works on other races doesn't work on black people and vice versa... With that being said... Hi, Im Amina. I was a mid brown color. Before going to college...

African American given names [ 8 Answers ]

Not having grown up with African Americans (I'm in northern Canada), I'm curious as to the significance of the unique, interesting names of many African American girls and women. For example, on American Idol, there is Tinnik, Mandisa, and of course Fantasia from 2 years ago. Is this some sort of...

African-american musician [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the name of a blind black musician who recorded probably during the 20s through 30s.The story is he was blinded by his mother possibly with lye,I think he was a blues singer who played a guitar.I tried goggle but I don't have a enough information. Thanks for any information...

View more questions Search