Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bubbler Posts: 69, Reputation: 13

Jun 17, 2007, 12:36 PM
    Unforgivable or Unpardonable Sin
    Hi

I was in church a few weeks ago and they where talking about the Unforgivable or Unpardonable Sin ! Now I have my own view's on this but would be intrested to hear other people's view regards this, do you agree yes or no that there is such a sin!

"...an eternal sin... never forgiven." (Mrk 3:27-30)
    "...impossible to renew them to repentance." (Heb 6:4-8)
    "...there remains no more sacrifice for sins." (Heb 10:26-31)
    "...a sin unto death." (1Jn 5:16-17)

These are just a few of the vs that they where talking from in church, does anybody know anymore vs like this etc or any that answer the questions.

Thanks
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 17, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbler
    Hi I was in church a few weeks ago and they where talking about the Unforgivable or Unpardonable Sin ! Now I have my own view's on this but would be intrested to hear other people's view regards this, do you agree yes or no that there is such a sin!
    "...an eternal sin... never forgiven." (Mrk 3:27-30)
    "...impossible to renew them to repentance." (Heb 6:4-8)
    "...there remains no more sacrifice for sins." (Heb 10:26-31)
    "...a sin unto death." (1Jn 5:16-17)
    These are just a few of the vs that they where talking from in church, does anybody know anymore vs like this etc or any that answer the questions.
    Thanks

Matthew 12:31, "Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men."
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Define blasphemy against the holy ghost?

Jun 17, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Define blasphemy against the holy ghost?
    According to Strong's Greek Dictionary of the New Testament (word #988): blasphemy means "vilification" (especially against God), "evil speaking or railing."

According to the Thayer Greek Lexicon of the New Testament (word #988): blasphemy means, "railing, reviling, slander, detraction, speech injurious to another's good name. Impious and reproachful speech injurious to the divine majesty."

According to Noah Webster's 1828, American Dictionary of the English Language: blasphemy means, "An indignity offered to God by words or writing; reproachful, contemptuous or irreverent words uttered impiously against Jehovah. Blasphemy is an injury offered to God, by denying that which is due and belonging to him, or attributing to him that which is not agreeable to his nature."

According to Rushdoony's, The Institutes of Biblical Law (page 107): blasphemy, "often identified with cursing and profanity, is the act of vilifying or ridiculing the figures or objects of religious veneration..."

According to Blackstones Commentaries, Volume 2, page 2228: blasphemy, "The fourth species of offenses, therefore, more immediately against God and religion, is that of blasphemy against the Almighty, by denying His Being or Providence; or by contumelious reproaches of our Saviour Christ."

I hope that helps.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2007, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson
    According to Strong's Greek Dictionary of the New Testament (word #988): blasphemy means "vilification" (especially against God), "evil speaking or railing."

According to the Thayer Greek Lexicon of the New Testament (word #988): blasphemy means, "railing, reviling, slander, detraction, speech injurious to another's good name. Impious and reproachful speech injurious to the divine majesty."

According to Noah Webster's 1828, American Dictionary of the English Language: blasphemy means, "An indignity offered to God by words or writing; reproachful, contemptuous or irreverent words uttered impiously against Jehovah. Blasphemy is an injury offered to God, by denying that which is due and belonging to him, or attributing to him that which is not agreeable to his nature."

According to Rushdoony's, The Institutes of Biblical Law (page 107): blasphemy, "often identified with cursing and profanity, is the act of vilifying or ridiculing the figures or objects of religious veneration..."

According to Blackstones Commentaries, Volume 2, page 2228: blasphemy, "The fourth species of offenses, therefore, more immediately against God and religion, is that of blasphemy against the Almighty, by denying His Being or Providence; or by contumelious reproaches of our Saviour Christ."

I hope that helps.
    That is an awsome answer. You out did yourself on this one but the reason why I asked is because that would be the next question. These answers will be good for anybody that has questioned exactly what that means and you did just that in this answer. Tried rating you but could not yet.

Thank you.

Joe
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Jun 17, 2007, 10:06 PM
    Our senior pastor at our church says that to commit the unforgivable sin
    -Youd have to see miracles
    -Be a pastor or something similar
    -call those miracles the work of the enemy
    Something like that, only then would you beyond redemption.

Jun 18, 2007, 04:09 AM
    Please have your senior pastor clarify what he means. I have never heard that someone has to be a pastor or see miracles in order for blasphemy of the Holy Ghost occur. Please explain in more detail. Thanks.
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Jun 18, 2007, 04:11 AM
    ill ask him to explain it to me next time im at church, it was a while ago lolz when he told us, my memory is sketchy
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2007, 04:38 AM
    I was always taught, both from the Catholic background and later the Pentecostal background, that the unpardonable sin is committed when one denies the Holy Spirit. This is done in many ways but it all boils down to acts of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Action Jackson defined it all very well. Thank you AJ!
    Lacey5765 Posts: 157, Reputation: 50

Jun 18, 2007, 07:32 AM
    here is a definition from a LDS perspective. I hope this helps-- "What must a man do to commit the unpardonable sin? He must receive the Holy Ghost, have the heavens opened unto him, and know God, and then sin against him. After a man has sinned against the Holy Ghost, there is no repentance for him. He has got to say that the sun does not shine while he sees it; he has got to deny Jesus Christ when the heavens have been opened unto him, and to deny the plan of salvation with his eyes open to the truth of it; and from that time he begins to be an enemy." My interpretation is that someone has had a testimony or has had truth revealed and then latter denies that truth. Once the Holy Ghost has born witness to you it is a sin to latter deny that witness or persuade others against that witness.
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Jun 18, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Just as an aside to this, I like reading religious literature, and often end up browsing religious stuff on wikipedia, I was looking at Dante's 'Divine Comedy' just this morning, and read this about the 9 circles of hell, which I thought I'd add;

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Seventh Circle. This circle houses the violent...

Outer ring: Housing the violent against people and property...
    Middle ring: In this ring are the suicides...

Inner ring: The violent against God (blasphemers), the violent against nature (sodomites), and the violent against art (usurers), all reside in a desert of flaming sand with fiery flakes raining from the sky. The blasphemers lie on the sand, the usurers sit, and the sodomites wander about in groups.
    Oooh, nice way to spend eternity!

Damn interesting reading by the way!
    The whole article is HERE for anyone who's interested!

J
    Retrotia Posts: 163, Reputation: 19
    -

Jun 18, 2007, 08:09 PM
    I've heard the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is denying the H.S. In other words, denying or rejecting Jesus. When Jesus spoke to the Pharisees, He used blasphemy is a two-fold way.
    They attributed His Spirit to a demon spirit & they denied the reverent belief of His Spirit.
    They had the knowledge, but they didn't have the belief.
    So, I think you only need to information about Christianity. I don't think you have to have believe first. (Or it wouldn't be denial)

Jun 19, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson

I hope that helps.
    This is a great answer thanks ;)
    Metallic Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Jun 19, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Isn't also taking the mark of the beast an unforgivable sin? I've been reading Hebrews also it talks about "...impossible to renew them to repentance." (Heb 6:4-8). Does that mean if you backslide there's no coming back? Sorry this isn't much of an answer just wondering.

Jun 19, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallic
    Isn't also taking the mark of the beast an unforgiveable sin?

I think that is part of the seven year period of the “Tribulation”, or the part of the Tribulation called the “Great Tribulation” this sin can only be committed then as it involves taking the mark of the beast on the head or on the forearm !

Jun 20, 2007, 04:53 AM
    Isn't also taking the mark of the beast an unforgiveable sin? I've been reading Hebrews also it talks about "...impossible to renew them to repentance." (Heb 6:4-8). Does that mean if you backslide theres no coming back? Sorry this isn't much of an answer just wondering.
    Christ's Apostles asked Him once how many times they should forgive someone "seven times?" they asked and Christ said, "seventy times seven." I used to be a heavy drinker and drug user way back in my teens to mid twenties. I quit and became a Christian but went through a trying time in my late 30s which caused me to backslide and go back to drinking for about a year and a half. I pulled myself together and Christ forgave me. Any sin is forgiveable accept for blasphemy of the Holy Ghost.

Those who take the mark of the beast are considered those who worship the beast. They put their trust in the beast system (New World Order) instead of faithfully trusting that God would take care of them through the tribulation. I suppose you could say that by trusting man's system rather than God Almighty, they committed a form of blasphemy against the Holy Ghost.
    Retrotia Posts: 163, Reputation: 19
    -

Jun 20, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Isn't also taking the mark of the beast an unforgiveable sin? I've been reading Hebrews also it talks about "...impossible to renew them to repentance." (Heb 6:4-8). Does that mean if you backslide theres no coming back? Sorry this isn't much of an answer just wondering.
    Metallic,
    The only Christians that go through the great tribulation are the ones that convert at that time, when the Tribulation saints- The Two witnesses,144,000+Jews, & all that receive Revelation of Christ after the Trib. Begins. The Gentile Church(believers now) must be taken out of the way. As it is written in Scripture- the Jews have been judiciously blinded by God - just like the scales that fell from St. Paul's eyes at the time of his conversion. But the ones to be saved then(whether Jewish or atheist) will accept Christ & they will not take the mark of the beast. Remember, there is a remnant of Jewish people to be saved in the end.
    The passage in Hebrews is not referring directly to the mark of the beast. It would pertain to a person's faith at that time. Here's a good article on Hebrews 6:4-8. God Bless.
    I'm not that great of a speaker, but I am a thinker!
    The Warning of Hebrews 6:4-8

Jun 20, 2007, 05:06 PM
    [QUOTE=Retrotia],144,000+Jews,QUOTE]

Actually, it's all twelve tribes of Israel, not just Judah. All twelve tribes are listed and 12,000 from each tribe will be sealed. The name "Jew" is a shortening of the word "Judah." Judah was one of the tribes of Israel. All people of Judah are Israelites but not all Israelites are of the tribe of Judah. Paul makes claim that he is of the tribe of Benjamin.

Just wanted to clarify.
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

Jun 21, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Hello Bubbler,

(Matthew 12:32) For example, whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the holy spirit, it will not be forgiven him, no, not in this system of things nor in that to come.

(Matthew 12:31) “On this account I say to YOU, Every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven.

(Mark 3:28-29) Truly I say to YOU that all things will be forgiven the sons of men, no matter what sins and blasphemies they blasphemously commit. 29 However, whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit has no forgiveness forever, but is guilty of everlasting sin.”

(Luke 12:10) And everyone that says a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him; but he that blasphemes against the holy spirit will not be forgiven it.

(Hebrews 10:26-27) For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, 27 but [there is] a certain fearful expectation of judgment and [there is] a fiery jealousy that is going to consume those in opposition.

Jesus spoke of ‘cutting off one’s foot,’ not literally but in a figurative sense, when he said: “If, then, your hand or your foot is making you stumble, cut it off and throw it away from you.” He meant that, instead of letting a body member such as a hand or a foot cause its owner to commit unforgivable sin, he should deaden such body member as completely as if it were severed from the body.
    (Matthew 18:8) If, then, your hand or your foot is making you stumble, cut it off and throw it away from you; it is finer for you to enter into life maimed or lame than to be thrown with two hands or two feet into the everlasting fire.

(Mark 9:45) And if your foot makes you stumble, cut it off; it is finer for you to enter into life lame than with two feet to be pitched into Ge•hen´na.

Jesus had just cured a demon-possessed man who was blind and dumb. The crowds marveled, but the Pharisees scoffed and said Jesus did it by means of Beelzebub. Jesus refuted their claim by showing that if Satan expelled Satan he would be divided against himself and his kingdom could not stand. Also, if Jesus expelled demons by means of Beelzebub, by whose means did their sons expel them? Then he said: “Every kind of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven. For example, whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the holy spirit, it will not be forgiven him, no, not in the present system of things nor in that to come.” Matt. 12:22-32,
    They could speak against the Son of man and later be forgiven on the grounds of their ignorance of the facts about him. Their sins of ignorance are forgivable if they do not resist knowledge of the truth when they are brought face to face with it. However, it was different when the Pharisees said: “This fellow does not expel the demons except by means of Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons.” Why so? Because this was a sin against the holy spirit, since manifestly such a cure as Jesus had just performed could not be by human power. To say it was of Satan was illogical, as Jesus showed them. The Pharisees did not say such cures were of Satan when their sons cast out demons. Why arbitrarily say it now, in Jesus’ case? Why say it was God’s spirit when their sons did it, but deny the manifest operation of the holy spirit when Jesus did it? Why? Because they did not love the truth and did not want to be led to the truthful conclusion that they were false teachers and Jesus was the Messiah. To admit this would mean giving up many selfish practices. Too many selfish things were at stake for them.
    So they resisted the true conclusion to which Jesus’ works should have led them. Let them speak against the Son of man if they wished; still they should have listened to the witness borne him by his works, works performed by the power of the holy spirit. Jesus said: “If I am not doing the works of my Father, do not believe me. But if I am doing them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works.” John 5:36; 10:37, 38,
    When they said these miraculous works were done by Satan they sinned against the spirit. They blasphemed God’s spirit, saying it was of Satan. Willfully and for selfish reasons they resisted the display of its power. To such ones Stephen said: “Obstinate men and uncircumcised in hearts and ears, you are always resisting the holy spirit.” Acts 7:51,
    It was this willful quality of the sin that made it unforgivable, because it made them unteachable, beyond correction, and opposed to God’s provision for forgiveness. As Jesus said: “Whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit has no forgiveness forever, but is guilty of everlasting sin.” Mark 3:28-30,
    There is no sacrifice to cover such willful sinning against the holy spirit, “not in the present system of things nor in that to come.”

Writes John: “If anyone catches sight of his brother sinning a sin that does not incur death, he will ask, and he will give life to him, yes, to those not sinning so as to incur death. There is a sin that does incur death. It is concerning that sin that I do not tell him to make request. All unrighteousness is sin; and yet there is a sin that does not incur death.” 1 John 5:16, 17,

If one sins in ignorance or because of human imperfections, forgiveness is available. But for willful sinning there is no sin-atoning sacrifice: “If we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment and there is a fiery jealousy that is going to consume those in opposition.” Heb. 10:26, 27,

Willful sin, with eyes wide open to the undeniable operation of God’s holy spirit or active force, is unforgivable and we should not pray for the forgiveness of such sinners. Even before Christ’s time intercession was not to be made for such ones. Jer. 7:1-16; 11:14; 14:11

Willful sinners, insincere and unrepentant, set in their evil ways and unwilling to conform to God’s requirements, have “no forgiveness forever”; which means that when they die they go into second death, they have committed the unforgivable sin.

My opinion according to my understanding of the scriptures.

Take care,
    Hope12

:)

Jun 21, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope12
    Hello Bubbler,

(Matthew 12:32) For example, whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the holy spirit, it will not be forgiven him, no, not in this system of things nor in that to come.

(Matthew 12:31) “On this account I say to YOU, Every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven.

(Mark 3:28-29) Truly I say to YOU that all things will be forgiven the sons of men, no matter what sins and blasphemies they blasphemously commit. 29 However, whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit has no forgiveness forever, but is guilty of everlasting sin.”

(Luke 12:10) And everyone that says a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him; but he that blasphemes against the holy spirit will not be forgiven it.

(Hebrews 10:26-27) For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, 27 but [there is] a certain fearful expectation of judgment and [there is] a fiery jealousy that is going to consume those in opposition.

Jesus spoke of 'cutting off one's foot,' not literally but in a figurative sense, when he said: “If, then, your hand or your foot is making you stumble, cut it off and throw it away from you.” He meant that, instead of letting a body member such as a hand or a foot cause its owner to commit unforgivable sin, he should deaden such body member as completely as if it were severed from the body.
    (Matthew 18:8) If, then, your hand or your foot is making you stumble, cut it off and throw it away from you; it is finer for you to enter into life maimed or lame than to be thrown with two hands or two feet into the everlasting fire.

(Mark 9:45) And if your foot makes you stumble, cut it off; it is finer for you to enter into life lame than with two feet to be pitched into Ge•hen´na.

Jesus had just cured a demon-possessed man who was blind and dumb. The crowds marveled, but the Pharisees scoffed and said Jesus did it by means of Beelzebub. Jesus refuted their claim by showing that if Satan expelled Satan he would be divided against himself and his kingdom could not stand. Also, if Jesus expelled demons by means of Beelzebub, by whose means did their sons expel them? Then he said: “Every kind of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven. For example, whoever speaks a word against the Son of man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the holy spirit, it will not be forgiven him, no, not in the present system of things nor in that to come.” Matt. 12:22-32,
    They could speak against the Son of man and later be forgiven on the grounds of their ignorance of the facts about him. Their sins of ignorance are forgivable if they do not resist knowledge of the truth when they are brought face to face with it. However, it was different when the Pharisees said: “This fellow does not expel the demons except by means of Beelzebub, the ruler of the demons.” Why so? Because this was a sin against the holy spirit, since manifestly such a cure as Jesus had just performed could not be by human power. To say it was of Satan was illogical, as Jesus showed them. The Pharisees did not say such cures were of Satan when their sons cast out demons. Why arbitrarily say it now, in Jesus' case? Why say it was God's spirit when their sons did it, but deny the manifest operation of the holy spirit when Jesus did it? Why? Because they did not love the truth and did not want to be led to the truthful conclusion that they were false teachers and Jesus was the Messiah. To admit this would mean giving up many selfish practices. Too many selfish things were at stake for them.
    So they resisted the true conclusion to which Jesus' works should have led them. Let them speak against the Son of man if they wished; still they should have listened to the witness borne him by his works, works performed by the power of the holy spirit. Jesus said: “If I am not doing the works of my Father, do not believe me. But if I am doing them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works.” John 5:36; 10:37, 38,
    When they said these miraculous works were done by Satan they sinned against the spirit. They blasphemed God's spirit, saying it was of Satan. Willfully and for selfish reasons they resisted the display of its power. To such ones Stephen said: “Obstinate men and uncircumcised in hearts and ears, you are always resisting the holy spirit.” Acts 7:51,
    It was this willful quality of the sin that made it unforgivable, because it made them unteachable, beyond correction, and opposed to God's provision for forgiveness. As Jesus said: “Whoever blasphemes against the holy spirit has no forgiveness forever, but is guilty of everlasting sin.” Mark 3:28-30,
    There is no sacrifice to cover such willful sinning against the holy spirit, “not in the present system of things nor in that to come.”

Writes John: “If anyone catches sight of his brother sinning a sin that does not incur death, he will ask, and he will give life to him, yes, to those not sinning so as to incur death. There is a sin that does incur death. It is concerning that sin that I do not tell him to make request. All unrighteousness is sin; and yet there is a sin that does not incur death.” 1 John 5:16, 17,

If one sins in ignorance or because of human imperfections, forgiveness is available. But for willful sinning there is no sin-atoning sacrifice: “If we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but there is a certain fearful expectation of judgment and there is a fiery jealousy that is going to consume those in opposition.” Heb. 10:26, 27,

Willful sin, with eyes wide open to the undeniable operation of God's holy spirit or active force, is unforgivable and we should not pray for the forgiveness of such sinners. Even before Christ's time intercession was not to be made for such ones. Jer. 7:1-16; 11:14; 14:11

Willful sinners, insincere and unrepentant, set in their evil ways and unwilling to conform to God's requirements, have “no forgiveness forever”; which means that when they die they go into second death, they have committed the unforgivable sin.

My opinion according to my understanding of the scriptures.

Take care,
    Hope12

:)

Hope12 :) thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Unforgivable Sin? [ 68 Answers ]

I know there are many different nominations and beliefs and opinions about the subject of sin. So here goes. Have any of you heard about the UNFORGIVABLE SIN? If you have exactly what is this unforgivable sin. At the same time I thought all sin can be forgiven? What is your take? Joe

Tattoos (sin?) [ 150 Answers ]

The question for me personally. I would like to know everybodies opinion, thoughts and even biblical response to this question. Question is, is it a sin to get tattoos. Is it forbidden? Is there anything wrong with getting tattoos and if there is anything wrong with it? I have thought...

Original Sin [ 13 Answers ]

I am curious if anyone might have a theroy on Original Sin? There has been so much speculation over hundreds of years and I would like to hear what you think. Thanks:confused:

Sex αnd sin--? [ 98 Answers ]

k well we αll know fornicαtion (sex before mαrriαge is α sin)-- but whαt αbout sex in mαrriαge.. my mom told me the following things were α sin in sex: orαl sex αnαl sex (wouldn't do thαt αnywαys) but now I'm thinking αre there sexuαl positions thαt αre sinful..? Do we αll hαve to stick to...

Living in sin [ 42 Answers ]

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly... This is a relationship question, but I chose to discuss this with other christians. I am in a relationship with the father of my 2 year old son. We are not married yet, and we live together. I have always known the Lord, but...

View more questions Search