Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rxh102 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2003, 11:35 AM
    Pc hard drive
    ? Dose anyone know if I put a larger hard drive in my old pc can you transfer every thing from the c drive to the new dard drive and I mean everything? If so how is it done? It can't be as simple as copy and paste C drive to D drive.
    Thanks for ay help.
    Bob H
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 10, 2003, 11:54 AM
    pc hard drive
    Hi Bob, I put a second hard drive on. C drive= 15 gigs D drive= 20 gigs. I put all my applications on the C drive and all my games and programs on the D drive. If your platform is MSN then you can click on the explorer bar and click and drag the folders from one drive to the other. Good luck, Tom
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2003, 01:49 PM
    pc hard drive
    Most new drives come with a utility that allows you to "clone" the old drive onto the new. If you are replacing a drive, I would use such a utility. If you new drive doesn't come with one you can get a copy of Drive Copy from Powerquest. Its worth the $20.

If you are adding a new drive rather then replacing, Then you will be able to drag and drop any data files from the old drive onto the new. Applications, however, will need to be uninstalled, then reinstalled.

If you want the new drive to be primary, and the old drive secondary, you can clone the old drive onto the new, then switch them and reformat the old after you have checked the new.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

Hard drive from a MAC [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I was just wondering if it was possible to install and format a hard drive from an old apple mac into my windows PC (to save my buying another hard drive). Regards, Navarre

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Hard drive [ 8 Answers ]

The computer I am working on won't boot Windows up all the way. When I turn the computer on it boots up the background then stalls with the background displayed but no icons or anything. I am assuming that my hard drive is bad... if not could you tell me any other diagnoses? Anyway, if my...

Is it a hard drive? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I'm running a clean computer (no spyware, etc.) but am having trouble starting almost any application (such as Gurunet, NAV 2005, MSIE, Family Tree Maker). Others stop functioning (freeze) after a while - such as Excel. Could this be a sign of a bad sector or HD? Is there a tool to...

View more questions Search