Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 16, 2007, 11:31 PM
    Checking kidney function after donation
    I am sorry if this is the wrong section, but none seemed to fit.

I donated a kidney to a friend almost 5 years ago at UCLA. I researched the living sh*t out of the surgery and stats on living kidney donors at the time, and found no reason to worry. They were almost nonchalant about it and never mentioned my needing to do anything special afterward, and none of my doctors since have seemed to think I needed any kind of follow-up tests.

I am due for a physical, should I ask them to include specific kidney function tests to insure I am doing okay with one kidney? I feel fine, but am somewhat surprised at what a non-issue it is. I tend to over analyze things though, and as a new mom I worry about things now that never even entered my mind before... maybe it really is just no big deal.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 17, 2007, 05:41 AM
    I understand your concern and you should ask and insist on getting answers to them.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 17, 2007, 08:38 AM
    You are such a wonderful person to have donated a kidney. That is truly a wonderful selfless gift of life.

Now you have every right to get answers to your questions, however, you should know that living with one kidney is no problem in and of itself. Many many people live a full healthy life with only one kidney, whether it be because of disease or donation.

I tend to think that the reasons the doctors are nonchalant are because most people do life a full healthy life. Kidney function is rarely a concern after donation, but you do have a right to have your concerns addressed by your physician.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plasma Donation [ 4 Answers ]

Is Diarrhea a possible side effect of donating plasma? Also, are there any long term effects?

Blood Donation [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know if every pint of blood is tested when you donate blood. Thanks

Charitable donation [ 2 Answers ]

This one may be splitting hairs but I thought I would ask. I know you can't contribute your time and take a charitable deduction. But lets say your time involves producing a tangible product. For example, lets say you are a software developer. You develop an application that you deem worth...

Egg Donation [ 1 Answers ]

MY daughter donated her eggs to a couple and received a substantial amount of money.Does she have to pay taxes on it?

Tax help on donation [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there,

View more questions Search