Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abdallajoudat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Settle debt
    I have huge credit card debt, I am unable to make any payment one company is willing to settle with for 20cents for the dollar my total debt with them is $43,000.00 they are willing to takr $8,600.00. What documents should I ask them to provide me if I can arrange to pay the $8,600.00 and what is the best way to handle the setttlement and is there any organization that can help me settle for free

Abdalla elrifadi
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2007, 08:38 PM
    I helped someone with this sort of thing several years ago. We worked with either the cc companies or with the collection agencies that had bought his cc accounts. After much discussion and wheeling-and-dealing, he ended up paying about half of what he owed. Ask each to provide a letter that verifies that the account that had totaled $xxxxx has been settled in full for $xxxx. Your payment should be by cashier's or certified check, and not on a check from your checking account. In my client's case, FedEx Overnight was the carrier (at the cc's or coll. Agency's expense). You can check with credit counseling/resolution agencies, but I've never heard of a settlement for free. Fr_Chuck (or others) here on this site can provide more information for you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 17, 2007, 07:27 AM
    Well normally they are willing to settle for less if you can make a one payment check, not making payments, nromally if you can make payments, they will just want payments on the full amount.

And most places have some fee ( even non profit, does not mean NO profit, couselors have to be paid, electric bills have to be paid and so on)
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2007, 04:03 AM
    Once they settle this debt, they most likely will send you a 1099 for the balance that was canceled, just so you know when your taxes are due next year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Do I settle for 50% of my debt? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been offered by several of my debtors/collection agencies a settlement of 50%, my question is most of my debt is now interest. If the company that is hired purchased my debt or was assigned to collect my debt do I negotiate a lower settlement? I have heard these companies buy delinquent debt...

Should I SETTLE or pay off in FULL? [ 4 Answers ]

I am in the process of paying everything off on my credit balance to a zero balance. I've received offers to SETTLE the account. I am not sure if I should settle or pay in full. I am looking to purchase my first home very soon and I want to know what would look better on my credit report, or will...

Best way to settle civil judgement [ 2 Answers ]

I have a civil judgement for about $3000 about 4 years old at 8% interest. I can pay it off in entirety with no problem. I want to contact the firm holding this debt (they have never contacted me) and negotiate this debt. My questions are: Considering I have ample assets and income to pay...

Starting to settle down... [ 8 Answers ]

:rolleyes: hi, everyone! I just turned 21 last June and I have a 6-month old daughter.. she's really wonderful and she's the funniest person I know. =) I'm pretty OK with how my life is, so far... my boyfriend's (26 y/o) great, we have plans of getting married in 2 years. And we've been...

View more questions Search