Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carriewebb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Brake fluid leak- is it the master cylinder?
    First, my Honda Accord is a 1987 and has seen about 300,000 miles. It is slowly leaking break fluid, because about every two weeks the brake light comes on and I have to put in more fluid. I have looked at it, and the front right caliper is damp with brake fluid so I am replacing that caliper. I am just not sure if the master cylinder is a problem as well because it is so old I think the rubber parts might be disentigrating. Can I take it out and check it? How do I do this, or is there a way to see if it is fine without taking it out? I want to know if it will give out without warning one day, or if I will slowly lose the pressure. It scares me to drive around with possible brake failure.

Thanks

Carrie
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2007, 07:10 PM
    If your brake pedal slowly creeps to floor, Replacement recommended.
    Fluid goes down for 1 of 2 reasons, Pad and shoes wearing down, or a leak.
    Look(or feel) under master cylinder for leaked fluid. Wipe off, you may have spilled some?
    Then look at wheel breke cylinders. Most likely spots. Line can be defective but less requent?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Carrie, what I would do is replace the front right caliper (remanufactured) and then have all of the brake fluid changed. This should be done every 24,000 miles or 24 months, whichever comes first. This is very important to do, from a brake safety and preventive maintenance standpoint. It would not be easy for you to replace the master cylinder. Here are some recommended maintenace tips that might help you:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post219991
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Sorry, missed you are replacing caliper. Good move,
    If you can bleed brakes, you may be able to change master cylinder, Call parts store, may be more resonable than you think. Brakes are Serious business.
    korn6958 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2007, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carriewebb
    First, my Honda Accord is a 1987 and has seen about 300,000 miles. It is slowly leaking break fluid, because about every two weeks the brake light comes on and I have to put in more fluid. I have looked at it, and the front right caliper is damp with brake fluid so I am replacing that caliper. I am just not sure if the master cylinder is a problem as well because it is so old I think the rubber parts might be disentigrating. Can I take it out and check it? How do I do this, or is there a way to see if it is fine without taking it out? I want to know if it will give out without warning one day, or if I will slowly lose the pressure. It scares me to drive around with possible brake failure.

Thanks

Carrie
    The hoses on it have problems splitting all the time
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Maybe replace rubber brake lines? You would need to bleed brakes afterward.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2007, 08:17 PM
    If the fluid is going down, but you can't find it coming out, pull the vacuum hose off the booster. If it has fluid in it, it is leaking out of the MC and being drawn into the intake.
    knucklebuster Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Jul 6, 2007, 01:17 AM
    Make sure that you replace both sides at the same time and not just the one that is damp.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brake fluid leak- master cylinder or caliper? [ 1 Answers ]

First, my Honda Accord is a 1987 and has seen about 300,000 miles. It is slowly leaking break fluid, because about every two weeks the brake light comes on and I have to put in more fluid. I have looked at it, and the front right caliper is damp with brake fluid so I am replacing that caliper. I am...

Clutch master cylinder kit [ 1 Answers ]

HI I have a toyota hilux 86 petrol 2.0 ltr. I want to replace the seals in the clutch master cylinder. I have bought the kit and am looking for some tips or advice. Matthew

Master Cylinder with ABS Questionn [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question, I have a 1997 Hyundai Accent GS with power brakes and I need to replace the master cylinder. I'm not sure if my car is equipped with ABS or not, I was wondering if I could install a master cylinder with ABS on my car if my car doesn't have ABS on it? Or would I have to just buy a...

Losing brake fluid [ 1 Answers ]

On my 1982 Ford F-100 pickup, I am losing brake fluid. Over the past year I have replaced front disc pads, new hoses, rear wheel cylinders, and re-built master cylinder. The front reservoir of the master cylinder constantly goes down. And the master cylinder body is usually wet almost like the...

Brake fluid loss [ 9 Answers ]

My 1993 Honda Civic requires topping up of the brake fluid every 3 months due to the light coming on. There are no leaks in the master cylinder and no leaks at the brake pads (I checked all 4 wheels). There is also no dripping of brake fluid in my driveway. This has been happening for 2...

View more questions Search