Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twilliams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Family Law
    Im not sure about my situation. I have been raising my niece since she was 4. She will soon be 8 later this year. Her parents are in her life, Her mother is my sister, she has more contact with my niece than her father. Her father does not help me financially , the mother helps me at a minimum. Both have another daughter and son together, which are with the father and mother all the time, but lives with dad mostly. I need to know what/how do I get both parents to start helping take care of her more? Financially& Involved
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 16, 2007, 11:09 PM
    Huh!! I cannot understand... they are with their two other kids but they do not want the third kid... What is the reason?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Hello tw:

You need to formalize your arrangement in court. You'll need to hire a lawyer to do it. The judge will order the parents to be financially involved, but he can't order them to be better parents.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Do you have formal custody of your niece? If you don't, maybe this is something you can consider. The court can order her biological parents to contribute financially. As far as them being emotionally or physically involved, no one can order that. Even if it could be done, how is it going to be enforced? And why would you want it enforced, if they are not willing? It could place the child in a bad situation.

Check out the legal aspects of custody and financial support. Good luck to you.
    endlessecho Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 06:20 PM
    You are going to have to further explain WHY you have the girl and they don't because it just doesn't make sense.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Family Law [ 1 Answers ]

My husband had an affair for a year with an unmarried woman and I want to know if there is a way I can take her to court and press charges?

Family Law [ 8 Answers ]

Do I Have Any Rights If I Been Fooled For 7 Yrs As A Father And Then Come To Find Out That I Am Not The Father Through A Dna Test?

Family law [ 1 Answers ]

Does a will have to be recorded at the county courthouse to be legal? The cost is almost 50.00 Dollars Thank you

Family Law [ 2 Answers ]

How do you describe an unfit mother?

View more questions Search