Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lwchris Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Electrical in rural America
    Recently I purchased a country house in rural America. I am from California needless to say rural America is more lax then California.

I have 2 120v mercury vapor lights in my yard. I trace the wires down (Via Aerial) and the go right to main service disconnect. I have also seen people out here taping into their aerial drops (after the main service disconnect) to connect small 60 amp breaker panels. In both is this common practice and is it safe?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Actually it is fairly common to go to a main disconnect, then branch off from there to the main house with one line, to a barn with a another, etc. in rural installations.

Not saying every installation is exactly perfect, at least there is the main disconnect to provide short circuit protection for the lights you have. You may want to consider installing some sort of fuses or breaker for these lights, if one shorts out the main will trip.
    Dennis777 Posts: 478, Reputation: 124

Jun 16, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Hello Chris.

As long as each is done with the proper size wire for the application and are mounted properly they will be fine.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Hello in rural america those large outside lights that look like street lights are normally rented, and you will be billed ( or should be billed) a small amount each month for their use. The electric company actually owns them you do not, you merely rent them.

I pay about 6 dollars a month per light for the ones I have, they are connected before the meter normally

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

South America [ 2 Answers ]

I met this girl. She is from Colombia, S.A. I met her while she was going through her divorce from her husband of 5 years. She says he was abusing her. She is now a citizen. We have been together for a year now. She admitted that a couple of months ago that she started seeing a guy she met, so I...

America In 2007: [ 3 Answers ]

Please give me your opinion of the intellectual and cultural climate of the United States at this time (June, 2007). Jeff

Only in America [ 5 Answers ]

Only in America 1. Only in America... can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance. 2. Only in America... are there handicap parking places in front of a skating rink. 3. Only in America... do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their...

Bank of America Overpayment [ 3 Answers ]

Apologies in advance for long post. So my story is I gave notice rather abruptly at Bank of America when I worked in their customer service dept. I'm not 100% positive of the date but I believe it was May 23rd of this year. Anyway, my last paycheck from them was a full check which surprised me....

How many Generals are in America? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been trying to find out how many Generals serve in America? Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search