Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Prometheus002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2007, 06:33 PM
    New old KZ owner.
    Hello
    I have just acquired from my brother an old 1977 kz650B. He got it from a cousin who had ridden it for 5 years without any trouble. My brother rode it for two weeks and it died and has never run again.
    I have changed the oil & filter, air filter, plugs and points. It gets air, gas and spark, and yet does not turn over. Even a shot of ether will not ignite. I am thinking that the coils may be bad. Before I sink lots of cash into a free bike, please anyone let me know if I am forgetting something. It has been a while since I dealt with one of these old machines.
    Thank you.
    Rich
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2007, 08:03 AM
    See if you have voltage to coils with key on. I would get service manual, it will show
    Primary and secondary resistance of coil windings.
    You probably didn't loose compression all at once. Leaves you with fuel or spark, at the right time. Any rust in tank? Verify no water in bottom of float bowl.
    Maybe try a quick blast of starting fluid, while cranking, don't try to run like this, you just want to verify you have spark. Then you know it is fuel problem.
    Prometheus002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2007, 08:44 AM
    I am picking up the manual from him today. I will need to pick up a meter for this part. The starting fluid had no effect. He had been riding the bike when it stopped working, and he already had taken care of the fuel issue.
    I had not remembered about water in the float bowls, but I will check.
    Thank you.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2007, 09:03 AM
    They float bowls will also reveal any rust or contamination.
    It now sounds like spark problem. You can remove point cover, and with key on, manually open points, coil should fire(or if open, momentarily jump points.)Don't force closed, or adjust yet.
    For the coils to fire, you need voltage, coil, capacitor. Spark plugs?
    Many 4 cylinders use 2 double coils. One may provide spark for cyls 1+3, the other 2+4, or something like that.
    One cylinder will fire on compression stroke, the other on exhaust stroke.
    Check kill circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owner financing [ 2 Answers ]

I have a tenant who is very interested on buying our house but cannot qualify for a loan due to debt ration and maybe low fico score. We have a mortgage on the house and their rent covers the payment. I would like to sell it but having a hard time finding a qualified buyer and this tenant has be...

New dog owner [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know how often do young dogs of about 5 to 6 months go poop on a regular diet

Owner [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone, my name is Tess, Owner of Perfect Cleaning. My question was: How do you estimate certain jobs. I do new construction, apt moveouts, commercial, residential, and section 8 housing for the govt. I have done OK for the most part, but I always stress over the decision. Thank you all for...

Owner of car [ 3 Answers ]

I and my spouse own a vehicle. I would like to know if a title loan is put on the car will I also be responsible for this loan which I did not sign.

Owner financing [ 20 Answers ]

I'm the seller, doing owner financing, which has turned out to be a nightmare! I had legal contracts that were checked out by an attny. It has been a year, they only made the min. pmts, no deposit or down pmt. But seemed to take exc. Care of the property and seemed very happy there. Without...

View more questions Search