Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jocko12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2007, 03:49 AM
    Fire damage
    By Massachusetts state law, can the landlord charge the tenant for fire damage?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2007, 04:04 AM
    I cannot cite the law but it's reasonable to presume that if it can be shown that you started it, you could be charged like any other damage you cause.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2007, 04:07 AM
    Agrees with Rick - if the fire department investigator and/or the insurance investigator show that the fire was started due to some fault on your part - your landlord can sue.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Hello jocko:

Not just in Mass, but in every state in this fine country of ours, if you ruin someone else's property, you're going to pay for it.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fire propert damage [ 9 Answers ]

I've recently had a garage fire and it was determined not arson and accidental. Not actual determination of the cause. I've lost quite a bit of property in this fire and didn't have rental insurance- ignorant me- never thought about it... nevertheless, in my rental contract nothing is indicated...

Fire Damage to House [ 5 Answers ]

An apartment building housing 3 families caught on fire next door to a house that I own and collapsed and burned to the ground. According to the final fire report, the cause of the fire cannot be determined. There was extensive damage to my house, and it is considered a total loss. The owner of...

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

Fire damage at rental property [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a fire in my apartment. I was told by the owner of the property that their insurance company is going to sue me for repayment of the damages. What are my rights as a tenant? Can they really sue me?

Damage and loss. [ 2 Answers ]

Can you sue your auto insurance company if they want to total your damaged car out at a lesser value than you agree with?

View more questions Search