Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maria D Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2005, 09:16 PM
    Help with the next step
    My name is Maria and I have just written out my web site for my business, which I would like to launch soon. I think it looks great, but my problem is, I don't know what to do now. What is my next step? Who do I call? I sort-of need not just a web site developer, but all three of these things:

1. A technology mentor (to help me with understanding the technology)
    2. a web site designer (to build my website)
    3. someone to tell me what to do once I have my web site up.

I know all of you are experts, I hope you can help. Thank you.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2005, 04:27 AM
    Sounds like you'll need to hire a web design/development company to produce the site for you. If they are any good, they'll take what you have done already and use that to produce something you'll ike. They'll then develop the site for you. Hopefully they will keep it simple enough for you to be able to understand and manage.

What country are you from? Some people might be able to suggest some companies for you. Fail that, get the yellow pages out. Also what are you using this web site for? Is it just going to be something like a catalog where people view you stock etc. or do you want online shopping facilities etc.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 9, 2005, 05:21 AM
    Try www.hostsearch.com. The first thing you need is to register your domain and find a WEB host service. Most host services will do the registration for you. Most host services also offer design services and e-commerce packages that you might consider.

Otherwise, check your local business directory for WEB design firms.

It might help if you explain to use what your web site is for and what you expect to get out of it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2005, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria D
    Scott:

I have a resume writing service. I've gathered many customer testimonials and resume samples for my web site. I've also reviewed the on-line competition, and I don't think they're that good at all, so I'm excited to go on-line and promote my business.

Thank you for your tip. I need all the help I can get, because I'm very (extremely) NOT a webpage/techie/internet expert at all.

Sincerely,
    Maria (A Plus Resumes)
    Maria,

There are no lack of web developers that are self-employed and looking for work. Since the dot.com bust there are a lot of out-of-work web dev people - check the yellow pages or get a referral from a local company whose web page you think is professional looking.

Good luck!

Jun 10, 2005, 09:30 AM
    Maria,

I don't know LFC, I use Interland to host my site. I've also used GoDaddy to register domain names, they provide hosting and consulting services as well.

A domain name is what you call your site. For example askmeheldesk.com is the domain for this site. A URL (Uniform Resource Locater) is a web address, so www.askmehelpdesk.com is the main URL for this site. You should register your domain name as soon as possible to reserve it. It may be that someone already has the one you want.

You can wait until your site is almost ready before you contract with a WEB host, but you will want to test it on the WEB before you go live with it. I would also suggest you check out PayPal as a way of accepting payments.

I would also suggest you get a copy of the full version of Adobe Acrobat and learn how to use its Security features. People are not going to want to pay for a resume until they see it. And once they see it, they can stiff you. By sending them the first draft as a secure Acrobat file that can't be edited, copied or printed with a Draft watermark, you can give them copy they can approve but can't use without paying.

P.S. If you want to respond, please do so here rather then using E-mails.
    Maria D Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2005, 06:27 PM
    Please delete
    Dear Scott:

Can you please "delete" my business name from this thread? It's showing up on Yahoo, and it's spooking me out. I thought this was private, I guess not. I don't care if the rest of it stays on, but please not my business name. Thank you.

Aug 26, 2005, 06:59 PM
    Maria,
    Sorry, but I'm not one of the admins here. Please contact PSI42.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evil step mom [ 27 Answers ]

I am writing because I have an evil step mom. I know you are all thinking that I must be irrational, but any other step parents out there will agree that it is women like this one that gives them such a bad name, and they get the flack for people like her. My little brother and I live at home....

Step up CDs [ 2 Answers ]

I have a step up CD with 5-1/2% interest rate, but the price is going down. I bought at $1 and it is now 92 cents. How can this be and is it likely to be called?

Right step [ 6 Answers ]

Just like my Id my life is playing a part with me. I am 26 year old man at point 1 ( country ) who had been in long distance arrange marriage with G1 at point 2 ( country ) since last 2 years ( though we never slept with each other ) and we both are muslim as religious background. In 2 years we...

Step parent [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know anything about step parents rights? Do we have any? Where do I look to find out more?

View more questions Search