Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dassuzan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2005, 03:06 PM
    Shower Tiles
    The shower tiles in the shower stall have mildew. Also one of the wall with tiles below the glass shower wall is buckling. The tiles right in front of the shower (once you step out) has mildew and moves a little. Could anyone suggest how I can correct these without breaking my bank. Thanks.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2005, 04:22 PM
    Hopefully someone...
    Quote Originally Posted by dassuzan
    The shower tiles in the shower stall have mildew. Also one of the wall with tiles below the glass shower wall is buckling. The tiles right in front of the shower (once you step out) has mildew and moves a little. Could anyone suggest how I can correct these without breaking my bank. Thanks.
    ... in the forum has better news than I can offer but it sounds as if you've gotten water behind the tile and this is what is causing the mildew and the buckling of the wall. First order of business is to locate the water source and stop it, especially if it is coming from one of the water pipes. You have what sounds like some serious damage (I don't think you are surprised)... no need to add more to it. Check back for other replies and if you don't get any, send e-mails or address your posts to these experts:

Labman &
    Speedball1

Good luck!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2005, 08:53 PM
    Common bleach will kill mildew.

It would be a lot of work, but you can rip out all the damaged stuff, repair any leaks behind it, and replace it for only he price of a little cheap material. I think a 4' X 8' sheet of water resistant drywall is less than $5. It, a can of tile cement, grout, drywall mud, etc. may only run $25 if you find small containers. Remove the tile, carefully setting it aside. Remove and replace the soggy drywall, taping and mudding the joints. The bigger the tile, the more quick it will cement back on. I once spent days replacing 1'' tiles. Then dig out all the questionable grout and replace with new. Maybe finish with a sealer. Likely the water damage came from water leaking through bad grout.
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Jun 11, 2005, 07:14 PM
    Do you have a second bathroom you can use. Check johnbridge.com forums. They have a libbery over there that details how a tile shower with shower pan should be built... preslope, shower pan and curb construction, use vapor barrier behind the concrete board on the walls and use thinset to set tiles etc... If you hire someone to do it make sure they do it right and watch them closely. Good luck.

Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mirror tiles [ 6 Answers ]

Recently I bought some mirror wall tiles and when I asked how to cut them the Home Depot employee said the only thing I could use was a little red tool with a tiny metal wheel on the end. I've about ruined all of the one package of tiles trying to cut a straight line. I must not be strong enough to...

Removing old tiles from cement floor [ 13 Answers ]

Anybody have a secret for removing the black adhesive left on a cement floor after removing old vinyl tiles? Maybe I should be asking whether I actually need to remove the adhesive. Right now the plan is to use 12" ceramic tiles for the new floor. In fact, now that I think about it I'm...

Can you paint ceramic tiles? [ 2 Answers ]

I have ceramic tiles between the counter top and where the cabinets start in my kitchen. I think this is called the back wash? I plan on changing the kitchen scheme in the near future, but removing the tile doesn't seem appealing. Are there paints that adhere to these? Even if it was textured...

Showers without tiles [ 6 Answers ]

I am building a shower and don't want to use tiles. The pre fab plastic showers are mostly small and or expensive. I want to build a 5'X5' shower on a pre existing concreat floor that has a drain already. Can I just pour cement and slope it with an outer curb and then paint it with waterproof...

Floor Tiles [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My home is over 5 years old and I would like to install floor tiles, so, my question is, what do I have to do to the old concrete floor before I install the tiles. Thank you, Rhondine

View more questions Search