Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Jun 14, 2007, 12:40 AM
    Hyperlink problems in Word
    Hi all,

I've got a snag with a document I'm creating;

I've created a contents page, all hyperlinked to various headers throughout the document, they work fine - happy days!

But I've put an image of a little house at the top of each page ("Home" - Clever eh! ;) ) which is linked to the header of the contents page.

Snag is, when I click it, it opens the temporary internet files folder on my C: drive instead of doing what I want it to!

Any ideas experts?

Thanks guys!

J
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 14, 2007, 12:49 AM
    Check that the URL is correct.
    Also have you thought about using bookmarks for this rather than hyperlinks ?

Quote Originally Posted by M$ word
    A bookmark identifies a location or selection of text that you name and identify for future reference. For example, you might use a bookmark to identify text that you want to revise at a later time. Instead of scrolling through the document to locate the text, you can go to it by using the Bookmark dialog box.

1. Select an item to which you you want to assign a bookmark, or click where you want to insert a bookmark.
    2. On the Insert menu, click Bookmark.
    3. Under Bookmark name, type or select a name.
      Bookmark names must begin with a letter and can contain numbers. You can't include spaces in a bookmark name. However, you can use the underscore character to separate words — for example, "First_heading."
    4. Click Add.

Jun 14, 2007, 12:58 AM
    Cheers for the quick response CB!

Yeah, the link is correct when I enter it, but Word just seems to be ruining it! I've tried it as linking to a bookmark as well, but the same thing happens! It seems to be the fact I'm using an image is the problem!

It's linking to;
    File:///C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Temporary Internet Files\OLK845#Contents

The 'Contents' bit at the end is the bookmark / anchor I'm linking to in the document, just don't understand why it's doing the rest!

Jun 14, 2007, 01:00 AM
    Ha ha, by typing bits of that into Google, I've just found 4 people's logon names, one of them a government employee! Lol!}

*edit*

No, from the British Bankers Association! Even worse! Ha ha!
    BossMan

Jun 14, 2007, 01:01 AM
    What you are trying to do is all well and good, but word isn't really setup for being used in this way.
    Yes, it deals with file hyperlinks fine, but once you start to try and be clever and do web type stuff it put its head up its bottom and sulks.

Just remember KISS ;)

Jun 14, 2007, 01:04 AM
    Ha ha, I thought this WAS simple!

I know what you mean though, but Word has it all in the GUI to be done, so I would expect it to know what it's doing! Lol!
    BossMan

Jun 14, 2007, 01:11 AM
    Yeah right.
    When does a Micro$oft product "know" what it's doing.
    It's things like that that keep me employed ;)

Jun 14, 2007, 01:20 AM
    Fair one! I've just spent 6 months sorting out an IIS problem just because two MS services were clashing and making everything crash!

I would say 'unbelievable', but it's not really! Lol!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Word Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Now that I finally understand functions and how they work, I have one more question about them. I apologize in advance if this is a repeat question. The question is 2 cars are leaving at a difference of 3 hours. The first car is written as d(t)=50t t represents the time in hours, and 50 is the...

Word problems and hypotenuse [ 1 Answers ]

Need a woek sheet with word problems and right triangles involving hypotenuse

Word problems [ 2 Answers ]

A fruit vendor bought 36 pineapples for $30. He sold some at $1.29 each and the rest at $1.09 each, thereby gaining $13.64. How many did he sell at each price? :confused:

Math word problems [ 3 Answers ]

A fire truck parks 16 ft away from a buliding. The fire truck extends its ladder 30 ft. How far up the building from the truck's roof does the extension ladder reach?? :P :-/

View more questions Search