Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eljay1103 Posts: 146, Reputation: 5

Jun 13, 2007, 10:22 PM
    Can I be under his insurance?
    My daughters father wants to get private insurance for himself our daughter and me... But since Im not his wife would he be able to put me under his coverage? Or how ever it works... I went to lowermybills.com to get different insurace quotes and to get the quotes you have to provide who will be under the insurance and there were two different headings 1.SPOUSE 2.CHILD 1,2,3 ETC. What would I be considered if we weren't married?
    Some one please let me know about insurance...
    Thanks
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jun 20, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Your ex would need to have "an insurable interest" in your health, or in other words, would he stand to loose if you were to become ill, injured, etc and he be left with the bills. Unless he's legally obligated to pay due to some divorce agreement, I do not think he can be the owner of a medical insurance policy on you. He can certainly let you apply for health insurance and pay the premium. Same is true for your daughter. So if she's an adult, and doesn't stand to lose, then let him pay the prem, let her purchase/apply for policy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 21, 2007, 03:28 AM
    I am a insurance agent in TN, here, to be on the same policy you would have to be legally married. ( this part of the reason gay rights people wish to have legal marriages)

There are a few states where this can be done, but normally no, you would havev to have your own separate policy under your name.
    moix4 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Sometimes, as part of the divorce settlement, one spouse may be ordered by the court to pay for health insurance for the other & children, if that is what they had done in the past. That does not necessarily mean that you will all be on the same policy, just that he will pay for the premiums. Therefore, there would be no need for any "insurable interest". Trust me, the insurance carrier could care less who pays the premiums.

If he wants to pay the premiums & continues to do so, so you are guaranteed health insurance, then I'd say go for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Involved in accident without insurance but she had insurance [ 12 Answers ]

I live in PA. An older lady hit my car per the police report it states that she turned directly into my driverside of my car as I had the right of way. My car was damaged & I was hurt. I contacted my insurance company they told me my policy cancelled 3 days before the accident but its OK now...

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Looking for insurance? [ 1 Answers ]

Check out zander insurance Pretty affordable in most cases. www.zanderins.com Learned about them on the dave ramsey show, just wanted to share to help others. :)

What is Co-Insurance? [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone please explain to me what co-insurance is? Explain it to me in the SIMPLEST terms, as if I am stupid!! :D I'm looking to change from my current cobra group plan with BCBS - PPO (which is extremely expensive) to an individual BCBS PPO plan. Thanks!!

View more questions Search