Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cdenni Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2007, 02:10 PM
    System Volume Information Folders
    Have Win XP Home Edition. My System Volume Information folders are missing. Have selected Show Hidden Folders, unchecked Display Simple Folders and Hide Protected Operating System Folders however the System Volume Information Folders associated with each drive are not depicted nor available when "Searching". System Restore indicates that is operating normally however restore points prior to this month are not shown although adequate drive space is available. Am unsure if the problems are related. Thanks for any possible assistance.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Jun 14, 2007, 01:46 PM
    I don't think there is a problem. You can select the maximum amount of hard drive space to reserve for System Restore (12% I believe). If you have a 2nd partition or another hard drive, you can also set that to 12% max.

As an example, I set 12% max. on my C: works out to 3.2G. and I have a restore point available for Feb. 12, 2007, when I installed some software.

Is this what your NOT seeing?
    cdenni Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Appreciate your response HVAC888. Again, free hard drive space is not an issue, have an abundance on all drives. Has not deterred from having prior months restore points being available, thus "missing" for restoration and not observable in the System Volume Information folder.
    Brunex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Hello!

Maybe your System Restore configuration is corrupted. I suggest you to do the following:

1) Right click on "My PC" => System Restore => Check "Disable System Restore..."
    2) Click on Start Menu => Run... => type in "services.msc" => look for "System Restore Service" => Double click on it => In Startup Type, select "Disabled" option => Click on Accept.
    3) Restart Windows
    4) Be sure to check again if there any "System Volume Information" folder lying there. If there any, delete it.
    5) Repeat the 2nd step, but this time, select the "Automatic" option instead of "Disabled"
    6) Repeat the 1st step, this time to enable System Restore.
    7) Restart Windows.

Hope this will solve your problem, Please contact me if this worked for you. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

System Volume Information Folder in Winxp [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I want to get confirm what all is there in System Volume Information folder in Windowsxp professional. I mean what are the contents of the folder, can we open the folder and what is the function of the folder. Thanks Waiting for reply!!

System Volume Information (new and improved) [ 1 Answers ]

I had an issue where I was unable to access my System Volume Information folder and after googling it I ended up on this site. The answer here was something to the effect of sharing the folder which was and is a dead end. After figuring out how to access the folder I decided to answer the question,...

System volume information [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to go into the system volume information directory to clean it and leave only the last 4 or 5 restores, but I get the answer that the system volume information directory is not accessible. How do I change this? Thanks in advance for the help.

What is system volume information. [ 8 Answers ]

Hi My system is always showing virus on system volume information file in C: but I can't find the file.. so when I put virus scan it was detected & deleted.. so what is the way to find up that & how to avoid virus on that particular folder please help me.

View more questions Search