Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2007, 09:36 AM
    "Green" computers
    Google backs green computer plan

Search engine giant Google and US semiconductor firm Intel have thrown their weight behind a massive scheme to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

The ambitious plan sets out an industry-wide target to cut the amount of energy computers consume by 2010.

The scheme is expected to cut emissions by 54 million tonnes a year - equal to 11 million cars or 20 coal-fired power plants, company officials say.

Hewlett-Packard, Dell and Microsoft have all signed up to the campaign.

Computers and other IT equipment have been blamed for causing as much global warming as the airline industry.
    More and more we're getting to the bottom of this global warming thing. It's Al Gore's fault. Think about it...

• If the Goracle hadn't invented the internet then we surfers wouldn't be sitting around at our inefficient energy hog PC's all day discussing climate change.
    • If the Goracle hadn't built this huge house with a monstrous carbon footprint maybe some of us wouldn't have built monstrous homes with huge carbon footprints.
    • If the Goracle was driving around in his Prius instead of jetting around here, there and everywhere perhaps more of us would follow in his Prius-steps.
    • If the Goracle would quit writing those three and four hundred page books we could lessen deforestation.
    • And if the Goracle would abandon his "Live Earth" concerts there wouldn't be billions of people driving and flying to these concerts, and wasting all that coal-fired energy listening on the radio and watching it on TV and our energy hungry computers.

Comments?
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jun 13, 2007, 10:11 AM
    No, no, no. I've told, you, Steve. Rosie O'Donnel causes global warming every time she opens her fat mouth and let's out the hot air. The good thing is that she also repopulates the fly population at the same time...

Global warming is caused by Rosie eating those 36 bowls of chili she had as her mid-day snack. She is the single largest source of carbon dioxide and methane in the entire hemisphere, and single-handedly caused the hole in the ozone layer. She also causes solar and lunar eclipses every time she stands up.

The movie "Cast A Giant Shaddow"? That wasn't the biography of Mickey Marcus. It was the doctor's discussing Rosie's weight problem.

The Running of the Bulls in Pamplona? Turns out that Rosie vacations in Spain in February, and the bulls are just running for their lives. They don't want to be her mid-morning snack!!

Did you know that Rosie's pants could cloth and shelter an entire African village? Several charities were going to ask her to donate some of her used clothing to support Africa. They were going to have her visit Africa to give them to the villagers in a big ceremony and celebration. Problem is they were afraid she'd eat them... as hors d'oeuvres.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2007, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine
    No, no, no. I've told, you, Steve. Rosie O'Donnel causes global warming
    I'm sorry Elliot, I had forgotten about Rosie's enormous contribution. Are there even enough carbon offsets available to lessen her impact? :D
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Google is a great company to lead this as they have arguably the largest server farms on the planet.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 13, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Google is a great company to lead this as they have arguably the largest server farms on the planet.
    That all run "off the shelf" piles of crud that eat electricity like its going out of fashion.

But that'll be the intel chipsets they are built from.
    I can see Google's idea with their datacenters, if they have a server problem rather than try and fix it they just put it out and throw in a new one.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2007, 10:28 AM
    I wonder if Steve Job's new PC the I phone is PC.. . is it green ? Maybe we should ask Greenpeace No green apples there .

I have to say I have been pretty green regarding my computers. Components do not get discarded ;I bring them to the regional recycling /hazardous waste center. Every time I'm there groups of scavengers rummage through the parts . I have also sent some used computer parts to an organization that was collecting them to rebuild computers and donate them to local schools .

My impression has always been that they could do wonders in making them green just by figuring a way to make them last longer . I do think that the energy they use ,as considerable as that is ,pales compared to the waste associated with building new ones and the disposal of old obsolete models (which apparently is at most a 3 year life-span) .It would be greener to keep it longer than to buy new more energy efficient ones on a regular cycle of obsolescence .

Manufacturing computers requires prodigious quantities of fossil fuels, toxic chemicals and water. Rapid improvements in performance mean we often buy a new machine every 1-3 years, which adds up to mountains of waste computers.
    Amazon.com: Computers and the Environment: Understanding and Managing their Impacts (Eco-Efficiency in Industry and Science): Books: R. Kuehr,Eric Williams

:rolleyes:

I think what is needed here is some out of the box thinking. Tomder Inc. is working on a proto-type that proposes a solution to 2 problems. Carbon-footprints of computers and childhood obesity . Our solution is to connect a PC to a generator that is powered by a user on a treadmill . The only way to get the computer to power up would be to get the treadmill to operate at a "vigorous walk rate " if you get it up to "stress test level " ,a battery stores the excess power generated and you can operate the computer during your cool down period.:D
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    I have to say I have been pretty green regarding my computers. Components do not get discarded ;I bring them to the regional recycling /hazardous waste center.
    I've tried also, the problem here is there are no recycling centers for that sort of thing. However, I have one PC at home that's going on 9 or 10 yrs now and works fine. I had another from that era that I reconditioned and passed to someone else. I hope my Dell and its high heat Pentium 4 isn't reaching that 2-3 year lifespan. Chances are it isn't and I don't crave every new technology that comes along.

Tomder Inc. is working on a proto-type that proposes a solution to 2 problems.
    No way man, we aren't supposed to be 'solving' anything and besides, those lawyers Dennis was talking about would find a way to milk Tomder Inc. for everything they had for "child abuse" and discrimination against fat kids. :D
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Yeah, last longer. I recently paid the local recycling center $10 to take 5 old monitors and TV's off my hands. At least 2 of the monitors had to be discarded because of the ''energy saving'' sleep mode. They wouldn't stay on. I dreamed of fixing them, but the local thrift store was selling 17'' monitors for $1.

I am not sure how old this computer is, but the mother board has an AK6 chip. I am running Mandrake 10. My wife is still using a Power Mac. I used my Radio Shack Color Computer until 1998.

I hauled the monitors to the junkyard in my 1977 Chevy LUV. I am still mowing my lawn with a 1973 Elec-Trak.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2007, 04:14 AM
    Quote:
    Tomder Inc. is working on a proto-type that proposes a solution to 2 problems.

No way man, we aren't supposed to be 'solving' anything and besides, those lawyers Dennis was talking about would find a way to milk Tomder Inc. for everything they had for "child abuse" and discrimination against fat kids
    Even if I use a disclaimer on the labelling ? Tomder Inc. has kick-butt lawyers on our staff. Jeff Skilling would be walking free if he had used them.
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    even if I use a disclaimer on the labelling ? Tomder Inc. has kick-butt lawyers on our staff. Jeff Skilling would be walking free if he had used em.
    And of course you didn't force anyone to buy them, but still you'd better pray one of those fat kids doesn't get injured or die from from overdoing it so they could get more IM time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

Pink pill with "watson" and "502" on it [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of pill is pink and has watson 502 on it?

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

View more questions Search