Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khw Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Does light bar need a back or can it be placed directly on painted drywall
    As a result of exchanging our surface mount medicine cabinet and regular mirror between bathrooms, I'm moving the light bars that were mounted over them. When I took them down, I noticed that the there is not back to them, that they were mounted so that they were open to the painted sheetrock wall. I believe this is a violation of the NEC. Am I wrong?

There is a 4" round box in the wall, and the fixture wires were run into this box where they are attached to the NM-B wires via wire nuts. A bracket attached to the box by screws contains a threaded post that the light bar frame fits over and is secured by a nut, as is the case for many fixtures. So far, so good. What bothers me is that the round box is open to the much larger inside of the fixture, so that the fixture wires run along the drywall. The light bar frame is a open-backed box about 13"x4"x2". Arms that hold light sockets are screwed into holes at either end. A cross section of it mounted against the wall looks like
    this:
    |\
    | |
    | |
    | |
    |/

The problem is that the left vertical line is the wall. I would think there should be a back to this fixture. I went to Home Depot and looked at the similar ones they had on display, and they had backs, but I'm uncertain if that is just for display purposes.

These fixtures were installed 13 years ago in a remodel. I have since found a number of illegal things our electricians did, for example installing fixtures that require NM-B (because of their heat output) directly to older NM cable, wiring the GEC and neutrals together (apparently to fool the inspectors), etc. One was wearing an ankle monitor during the project, which should have been a big clue to us as to their character. (They were sub contractors, and we didn't hire them directly.)

So my question is: Do these fixtures need a back?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2007, 03:27 PM
    The were designed to have a back, and have wiring enclosed, It was "Rigged",
    I see licensed people do some of this stupid stuff too. Some can't figure out or don't have correct tools.
    It IS a code violation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding Bar vs. Neutral Bar? [ 14 Answers ]

Hello all. I have extended the wires from an unused 240 outlet to the backyard for a spa via a sub-panel. I also hooked up a new grounding electrode near it to avoid having to run a fourth wire all the way back to the main panel. This fourth wire goes to the small grounding bar in the sub-panel...

When to know it is safe for baby to be back in a freshly painted room. [ 6 Answers ]

The walls were painted in the bedroom. I am not sure if it is safe yet to put our baby back in the room. I am not exactly sure what paint was used and cocking around the windows. The workers told me it is water based. It smelled strong at first but I have been airing it out since...

Marble or Granite for a wine bar w/ stainless bar sink? [ 1 Answers ]

Would Marble be an appropriate choice for a bar top that will have a small stainless steel undermount bar sink? I have been quoted the same price for marble or granite. Are these counter tops usually the same price?

Annoying Internet Bar over the Task Bar [ 1 Answers ]

My grandson has messed around with my computer and an annoying Bar now sits over the Task bar when on the internet. To the extreme left is Internet Explorer logo e] followed by DONE. To the extreme right is a Blue Globe followed by INTERNET. If a URL is clicked the bar then shows :...

View more questions Search