Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    disphf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2003, 10:14 PM
    Tower-Smoking
    I smoke a lot when I'm using my PC. I know it's bad for both of us. I do have a home smoke filter next to it.
    My question is, can I use something(what?) in the air intake of my computer without compromising the cooling factor too much.
    Might it be possible to put an extremely lightly oiled piece of gauze in the intake or would there be oil fumes sucked into and onto my disks that would negate or exacerbate my issue?
    All opinions welcome.
    Thanks, Pete
    tototu Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Mar 4, 2003, 02:40 AM
    Tower-Smoking
    Forget putting an oiled membrane there. The tar from your smoke will gum it up quick enough. Look for an industrial supply near you and ask about cellular media filtering agents- cartridge type filters or hepa filters. You can find filters with small micron sizes and high airflow rates. Take the material from these and use them to do your filtering. No matter- good PC maintenace requires you to service your box at least once a year for cleaning and component health by a pro if you can. ;D ;D ;D
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jan 28, 2006, 08:07 AM
    Chain smoker here, I smoke out side, between the pets (to many to list) daughter and husband (X-Smoker) I have taken up smoking out side, it comes down to how bad you really want that cigarette, it is amazing how much you cut down, I know it is not answering you question, it is just another take on the situation. (O:
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2006, 09:29 AM
    Hi,
    Might I suggest the Whirpool WhispPure AP 450?
    They are not cheap, a little over $200.
    They have a pre-filter, about $6 each, lasts 3 months.
    Has a HEPA main filter, lasts a year.
    Very good air filter, rated Number 1 by Consumer Reports, over all of the Ionizing filters, even with fans.
    Even on Low fan speed, it would draw the smoke into the filters, producing clean air.
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cd drive in g4 tower [ 2 Answers ]

For no apparent reason the cd tray on my Mac G4 (about 3 years old) suddendly came out as if to eject a cd. I have tried pushing it back in, but it immediately comes out again, no matter whether there is a cd in it or not. When there is a cd in the tray, the computer does not read it before it...

Twin Tower Question [ 7 Answers ]

If the architects were aware of the design's susceptibility to heat why didn't any of them make a quick call to inform those who were in danger of the buildings collapsing on them?

Tower Fans [ 2 Answers ]

I have looked and cannot find info on what the advantages of the fairly new tower fans are to a traditional circular blade fan. Can anyone explain. I have a fairly large living room that is open to the dining area and kitchen so its hard to cool. I'm limited because my wife doesn't like drafts...

Time tower on xp won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all. I will give you as much info as I can. I have a time tower now running xp. My brother has an identical tower running 98. Last night he developed a problem with his hard drive. He thought it would be a good idea to take his hard drive from his machine & put it in to my tower. He couldn't...

View more questions Search