Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bandguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2007, 08:59 PM
    Ceiling fan light won't work
    Hi -

I am replacing an older, noisy fan/light (which both worked) with a new, quieter one. Both the old and the new are/were set to run the light off the wall switch and the fan off the pull chain.

The problem is the wiring diagram shows only one white (neutral) wire coming from the ceiling, but I have two -- one supposedly from the ceiling wiring and one from the wall switch. I have no idea how to connect the white wires. The fan works no matter how I connect them, but the light does not. I returned one fan to the store thinking the light must be faulty, and the next one is doing the same thing. Fan great, no light.

I have tried each white wire from the ceiling connected to the fan by itself, and then all three of them (two from ceiling and fan/light connected) and still no light.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    Andrew
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2007, 07:38 AM
    The 2 whites in ceiling need to go together and stay together, unless they were wired
    Differently.
    White in ceiling goes to white of light /fan.
    Sounds like you have a constant hot in ceiling(black?)tha goes to fan black wire,
    The wire from your switch, controls light(Blue or black w/white stripe).
    The white is used for light and fan.
    What color wires are in fan box, removing switch may help identify light wire.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2007, 01:53 PM
    What make was the old fan and how was it connected?

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan and light suddenly won't work [ 3 Answers ]

I thought I was switching the direction of the fan by sliding a button on the top of the fan. However, it shut the fan off entirely and now it or the light will not turn on... its the summer and I really need my fan to work! :(

Ceiling Fan light kit won't work [ 1 Answers ]

:( I bought 2 light kits for our lightless ceiling fans and neither will work. We took the black and white wires from the fan labeled "live wires; for light kit" and hooked them up to the wires from the light kit. Black to black; white to white. Nothing works; we redid the wiring with different...

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

Light won't work on ceiling fan [ 1 Answers ]

I had a ceiling fan installed, and the light on it quit working. I thought there was probably a problem with the light kit, but since I didn't like the fan, I replaced the whole thing with a new fan and light. The fan has always worked, but the light still doesn't. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Ceiling fan light doesn't work [ 2 Answers ]

I have put up many ceiling fans with lights but this is the first time I have put one up without a light and then went and bought a light kit. (By the way there are two switches on the wall, one for the light and one for the fan). The ceiling fan worked perfectly and then I went to put the light...

View more questions Search