Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leftwinga Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Jun 12, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Can my ex-sister in law force my brother to sell?
    Ok.. first off he lives in PA... 2nd... his wife ran off with another man, leavng him to fend for himself with the mortgae and all sorts of bills.
    Well after 5yrs of him living there and paying off the past debt and keeping up with the mortgage payment( albeit with help of a live in girlfriend )... She now has the nerve to want him to sell the house. I believe she is under the illusion that she will walk away with all this money... she is wrong... even if they make a 20 grand profit, they still have to pay closing costs, realtor fees amongst other crap.
    My brother doesn't want to leave... my question is... does she have a legal bearing to force him to sell? The home is still under BOTH of their names.. but he has been the only one paying the last 5 yrs. He is too naïve when it come to theses matters and I'm afraid he'll give in to her... he said he spoke a lawyetr and they told him she can force the sale... I honestly don't believe it
    Any advice would be great...

Ps.. I also don't believe there was ever any divorce decree of who gets what... I think they were both afraid of what could have been lost by either of them at first.. I mean she abondned him and the kids... they now share custody.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Hello again, left:

No, she cannot force him to sell. He needs a divorce attorney.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 13, 2007, 06:12 AM
    I agree with excon, she cannot force a sale, but she may be able to force him to buy her out. What he should do is get a divorce attorney immediately and file for divorce on the grounds of abandonment. There will probably have to be a settlement of assets, but, given the abandonment, he may be able to come out ahead.

But he REALLY NEEDS to get an attorney and hit her before she hits him.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2007, 06:13 AM
    No, he cannot be force to sell, unless it is court ordered. Divorce

He needs to see an attorney now.
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Jun 13, 2007, 06:24 AM
    I am confused as to your PS. Are they divorced?

If they look at the marital debts he has paid off alone, versus half of the marital assets, is it about even?
    leftwinga Posts: 54, Reputation: 3

Jun 13, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Yes they are already divorced... she is remarried. I don't know what was decided as per the divorce, but he has been living there ever since she left... and paying the mortgage w/o any help from her

Hope that clears up any confusion...
    So.. with knowing that is there any chance she can force him to sell... how can she force him to buy out... what if he can't afford that??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 13, 2007, 06:05 PM
    We would need to know what was in the divorce settlement with respect to the house. Depending on what it says, its possible she could force a sale of the house to satisfy his obligations under the settlement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brother and sister slleping in same room [ 22 Answers ]

What is the legal age that boys and girls have to start sleeping in separate bedrooms?

Brother-Sister Relation Broken [ 18 Answers ]

Dear askmehelpdesk.com, I have a serious relationship problem with my sister ever since she knows I molested her 5 years ago. She is 14, & I'm 15 when naïve incident happened, she stop talking & responding to me ever since the incident although we are still living in the same house. It's my...

My sister in law is looking for her brother. [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for ancestors of this person. She went by Eleonore Schlund born 04-03-1939. Not sure of the year of birth. She had a child male born 1954-55 and a female born 05-17-1956. She was adopted and moved to the United States at birth or shortly afterwards. She was given to DeForest Wood and...

Can she force me to sell or buy her out [ 5 Answers ]

I live in the U.K. on the 3/2/07 my wife walked out of the family home leaving me and our three children aged 16/11/9/ behind. She has now set up a new home for herself 40 miles away from the children.now the question I want to know is as the mortgage is in joint names can she force me to sell the...

Wedding brother and sister dance [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Does anyone know of a song that a brother and sister can dance to in a wedding

View more questions Search