Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Jun 12, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Dad won't amputate!
    I need advice on what to do about my father. He had a stoke last year and has been in care ever since, either hospital or care homes. He also has diabetes and because of that has a very larger ulcer on his leg, which is infected, he also had MRSA in the area. He is in extreme pain because of this, and asked to be admitted to hospital so as to have the leg removed. He has been fine about this, it was his idea, and yet today once plans had been made (after four hours of meeting with everyone) he has said he won't have it done. If he doesn't have it done he will end up with blood poisoning and he will die in the not too distant future. We moved house so we could care for him better at home once the operation is done, as that is what he wanted, and yet now he has backed out. I am sure the reality of it is hitting home now, and he is scared, but what can we do to convince him it is for the best to have the amputation? He is of sound mind so we can't force him too.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jun 12, 2007, 12:00 PM
    Squiffy:

If he is competent - he understands the problem and the consequences of the choice[s] he makes - there is not much that can be done.
    Maybe the Doctor and or nurse can explain, in a different manner, what is going on here.

He may be depressed due to the stroke and pain, and given up?
    Maybe he is thinking along the terms of quality and not quantity of life.

Sorry, no easy answer.

Grace and Peace

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 Civic won't start, turns over but won't crank [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1993 honda del sol SI that I converted to manual, before the swap everything was fine, cranked up, my battery and alterntor were going bad but would crank up, after the swap, it turns over but nothing happens,I'm not gettting any spark at all, I went and got a new distributor but still...

My dad won't listen [ 2 Answers ]

My dad met this girl online and after 2 weeks of being together they already bought a house in another city and decided to get married. My dad has been married and divorced twice and I know that this relationship between him and this girl isn't going to work out but he won't listen to me. What...

21 won't Get Job won't Respond To Anything [ 6 Answers ]

Daughter lives at home works 10hrs a week never has much money,is diabetic, smokes like a trooper,drinks lots of lucozade as well as going to pub and eats loads of chocolate, not happy unless blood reads 10 or more. Has very obsessive nature which is centred on a bloke at the moment so she can't...

Wants to be a dad [ 3 Answers ]

My sons 16 year old girl friend is pregnant and he wants to be a part of every thing and she wants him to be also and to be able to go to the doctors and stuff with her but her parents are telling her & him that he can't be a part of this or see her is there any thing that they can do

21 won't Get Job won't Respond To Anything [ 1 Answers ]

Daughter lives at home works 10hrs a week never has much money,is diabetic, smokes like a trooper,drinks lots of lucozade as well as going to pub and eats loads of chocolate, not happy unless blood reads 10 or more. Has very obsessive nature which is centred on a bloke at the moment so she can't...

View more questions Search