Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheardu2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2007, 08:19 AM
    20GB WinXP system suddenly showing 100mb capacity!
    We had a security breach of our small network over the weekend. Since that happened when two of the users came in on Monday and tried to log in. They got an error that said Windows cannot load your user profile and a temp profile will be used instead. When I (the I.T consultant) got there and investigated the system, I found that "my computer" was only showing the 20gb hard drive as having 100mb total capacity with 0%free. I tried to delete files from the hard drive and even emptied the recycle bin and still the computer showed 100mb total with 0% free. I went to manage computer and it shows 20gb total with 9.76 free. But its like my computer doesn't know that. I ran chkdsk /f/c/x. It said files were in use & if I wanted it to run when windows restarts. I said yes. It ran and when XP came back up, my computer showed that it still had 100mb total with 74mb free.

Any suggestions would help. Also ran stinger. Could not load McAfee because of lack of space.

-Chan
    McNuggy@LMC Posts: 40, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2007, 03:50 PM
    If you go into your recent activity log in admin settings it will tell you what has happened over the last week. You will need to open it via a text editor either notepad or wordpad. On my version of XP it is called events manager.

Did you scan all hidden and system files? Sometimes files are marked hidden therefore are not seen by the normal interface. You may find that whoever breached your security protocol may have installed something as a surprise and marked it hidden. The fact that your AV program won`t boot due to lack of virtual memory is usually a clue to these things. Its not that you don`t have it, just something is fooling the AV program and the win32.dll file.

Or you can go into your device manager and see if there is a hardware conflict.

You didn't mention if the hdd master is partitioned? If it is then sometimes if a program is installed on one partition and files from it are saved on another partition on the same hdd windows finds something to be picky about and makes life difficult.

If this doesn't work have a look in your temp folder in system32 and delete all files in there.

If that doesn't work do a direct dump from your master hdd to an external mass storage device then format the hdd from the ground up. This is a last resort mind you.

Hope that helped, my aunt had the same problem and when I checked her log someone had been using her as a host/proxy to d/l illegal software, and then had left a txt file string that kept on filling up the file with thank you very much thank you very much et al infinite, until it was a 25gb text string. Mofos the lot of them!

Good luck mate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

System Volume Information Folder in Winxp [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I want to get confirm what all is there in System Volume Information folder in Windowsxp professional. I mean what are the contents of the folder, can we open the folder and what is the function of the folder. Thanks Waiting for reply!!

WinXP System Restore [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Malware Infection in my Laptop after installing IE7(Beta3). I have Norton Anti Virus 2006. I tried many ways but I cannot remove it.There is this popup window on my Task Bar "System Alert: Spyware Detected". When ever I am on the internet, at about every five minutes a popup will open...

Winxp pro-please select the operating system to start [ 2 Answers ]

I did what I thought was a clean install of xp pro --I think it has installed itself on both the C and D partitions --if so can this be easily fixed or will I have to re-install and re- activate with Microsoft again??

Creative MP3 player 20Gb [ 2 Answers ]

I got one for Xmas and a month later it stopped working. Has anyone had a similar experience and what does one do, I got mine through the Amazon. Any advise much appreciated

Winxp system restore [ 13 Answers ]

I have HP XP home edition that I purchased in December and had a technician come to set it up and install Norton Antivrus and DSL. Was using Media player yesterday when I got prompt to update it, which I did. They said to turn on system restore... the computer technician had it turned off. I...

View more questions Search